Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very impressed with my SVT410HLF.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whoopysnorp, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    I'd been using a Peavey 410TX with my SVT-II for a couple of years. I'd rewired it from 8 ohms to 2 ohms since the SVT-II doesn't like loads above 4 ohms, and it's not a bad cab by any means. However, I just got my SVT410HLF, and my god, that cab does so much more justice to the amp. Before it came in, I had been concerned about it not having the midrange punch of the SVT410HE or the 810, and I had heard that ported cabs can sound boomy with tube heads, but my worries turned out to be for nought. After I warmed up the amp and switched it on with the 410HLF, I immediately had the big angry midrange that is the whole reason for having an SVT in the first place. The low end is certainly tight enough for my purposes. The cab sounded a lot better with the SVT-II than it did with the SVT-CL or the SVT3Pro that I'd used to try it out at Guitar Center. A LOT better. I gotta say I'm fairly unimpressed with the SVT-CL now. Anyway, for anybody who's been thinking about pairing a 410HLF with a tube head and is concerned about boominess, just go for it. It's a great cab.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    ????????

3. yes, that doesn't make much sense to me either.....

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    "8 ohms to 2"

He probably had (4) 8 ohm speakers in the old speaker, series parallel is 8, all parallel is 2....

SVT-II has no 8 ohm tap.... just 4 ohms and 2 ohms.

Re-wiring was a wise choice, IMO.

Getting the 410HLF was even better, but of course I'm prejudiced....... (or not) :D

5. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    You're correct--the speakers in the Peavey cab are 8 ohms each and the cab comes wired in series-parallel in stock form. Wired all in parallel, that makes 2 ohms. Though we were using it for a while the way it came, but when I went to rewire it it turned out that one of the speakers was not actually connected and hadn't been for who knows how long. So I don't know what impedance it was actually running at before.

So maybe you can answer a question for me, Jerrold--I've read that the SVT410HE and the 410HLF contain the same speakers. If that's true, how do you wire the 410HE for 8 ohms and the 410HLF for 4 ohms?

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    They use the same switch as acugroove... HAHAHAHAHA!
    ...i kill me :D
    i think they are different speakers, but Jerrold would know.

7. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Hehehe...

Bump so hopefully Jerrold can see this and set me straight.

8. I've had the SVT410HLF for about 3 years or so now. And I've been looking for a good amp to push it. (Currently using an Ampeg B2R) The amp sounds nice there's just 0 headroom.

Anyway, I love the cab. I had wanted to get a SVT CL but whenever I've tried them in GC they don't really impress me that much either (At least not for $1500!!) And I can't afford a SVT II.

I'm currently deciding between:

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II
    Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600

Awsome amps

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have the Classis pushing the SVT410-HLF, and the only thing I've heard that sounds better is the SVT610-HLF. Although, like I always say, I'm sure the Bergantino, and other high end stuff sounds excellent. But if you are totally satisfied with the Ampeg cab (like I am), then great.

BTW - I just barely use the tweeter. I'm not crazy about tweeters, which is why I love 10's so much - they don't really need a tweeter.

Skel

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sorry - "Classic", not "Classis". Also, Philzbass, The B2R does sound quite good with the 4X10. You didn't like the Classic, so unless I'm wrong, I doubt you'd like the SVT-II because isn't it the exact same "chassis", but with some things like the graphic EQ, and mute buttons? My SVT-IV PRO sounded quite good through this cab, but I have an instinct that the Holy Grail of Ampeg head to drive this cab is the SVT-3 PRO - which I have not tried yet. This is next for me.

Skel

11. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    In my experience the SVT-II has a lot nicer tone than the CL. I don't think they are terribly similar inside--the SVT-II came from a different era in Ampeg's history (late '80s/early '90s) and I think they were just building differently then.

12. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    Oh, by the way, how do you take off the grill cloth on the SVT classic cabs?

13. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005
    Get a thin, small, flat blade screw driver....at the CORNERS..gently insert it between the frame and the edge of the cabinet. Gently work the grill frame away from the bottom. The front grill is held on by velcrow type bottons. You will feel them "pop" as they release.

14. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    That's 'cause wherever you read that was wrong!

They use different speakers. Different impedance, and some other differences also.

15. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    hmm heres my dilema, svt 410 hlf or bxt 410 hlf, which has better low end? and depth of sound? i know the specs are damn close just curious because before i buy the svt i wanna know about the bxt? thanks all :)

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I preferred the sound of the SVT, and I tried all three HLF models back when I made my purchases (SVT, BXT,and PR series). To me, the SVT had the best lows, without being muddy.

17. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    thanks ryan funny thing, i'm a ryan too and my lastname starts with an L is 500 too much for a used 1 year old one?

18. ricplyrz

ricplyrz

Dec 26, 2005

This was my original post;

No truer words spoken. I owned the 810e. It was an outragous cabinet. I own its "LIL' sister now, svt 410hlf...and yes, I HAVE changed my mind about ported enclosures...at least the 410 hlf. The 810e was "darker" in sound than the 410 hlf, but it also did not have a horn. The 410 hlf uses 4 of the same speakers in the 810....but it is ported, and has quite a bit more, USEABLE low end to it

My appologies for not stating the specs. The 810 uses10" drivers at 32 ohms. The 410hlf uses the SAME drivers (10 inch), but at 4 ohms. Thay are all manufactured be Eminence Speaker Company. They also may have a stiffer surround and spyder.

19. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    SVT-410HLF all the way! I just got a BSE410HLF and I must say it is pretty darn good too.

20. Ha! I just got one. I made a thread called "It's official"

Great cab!