Very long gig comin' up. Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Right. Here's the dillyo. My rig is going to be used in the backline for a 14hour gig. We'll have at least 2 bass heads (and hope to have 2-3 cabs - 2 of which are mine).
    I've said that I'll let 5-7 of the bands use my rig (30min sets), and then we can change rigs mid gig. We're doing the same with the guitar amps. I'm using a valve pre/SS output.

Now. I'm wondering: would it best best to change rigs every second or third band, or to use mine for the first half, then the other guy's rig for the 2nd half?
    Also, will using my cabs for long period of time bugger them? I suspect they'll be OK providing no one is driving them too hard, and I'll be keeping a close eye out.

Should I perhaps take the amp out of the sleeve and take off the cover for better cooling between sets?
    Should I be switching the amp off between sets? (i suspect not due to the quick cooling down/heating up again from high current).

I have a spare amp that is the same as my main, but as most of you know its a bit blah for vol output (mysterious fault!). I think if I really crank both gains on it it'll give enough output. I'm not to fussed if the "back up" blows tbh. So I could always switch heads after each band for my rig's alotment.

My rig consists of a Trace Elliot mini stack:
    GP12SMX AH250 (250W RMS @ 4ohms)
    2x10 200W (8ohm)
    15" 200W (8ohm).

Thoughts and advice? :help:

[edit] gig is indoors and will have PA support.
  2. I think if the power amp has a fan, it'll cool off faster if you leave it on between sets. Then you have no signal, virtually no heat generated, more than made up for by the cooling airflow going on.

Make sure to keep the power amps out of direct sunlight, they're usually dark, absorb heat. Makes it that much harder to cool. If the racks impede airflow, by all means take them out. But remember in a rack, you can maintain space between the amps to help cooling. Better in a rack with spaces built in between than stacked on top of each other with no racks.

I'd make sure to run compression on the rig, just to tame the wilder guys. Limiter to really keep the output from getting too much out of hand isn't a bad idea.

Once you're playing a whole set at a time on one amp, You have either reached thermal stability at a safe place and you can run it all night like that, or you've been way too hot for most of the set anyway. If that's the case, the amp would have thermalled off before the end of the set most likely. I don't see any difference swapping amps every set, every 2 sets, once in the middle. All are way too late if the amp can't cool itself properly due to the conditions. Either the fan can keep up with the conditions or it can't. If they need to be swapped to stay operational, I think you're screwed unless you swapped amps every song or so.

I'm somewhat speculatiing here, so YYMV.

3. To ask a little question: can't you expect from such a high-end amp that it can withstand the 14 hours? In practise rooms, they also use the same amps for like 12 hours at high volumes (in mine they do). Even the old peavey head is still alive there.
  4. the reason for my concern is that its my baby and i can't afford repairs. and i have a gig on tuesday with 'er too!

the amp has lasted 5 hour nights before. i was just looking for some pointers for anything that i should look out for!

thanks for the replies. :)
  5. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Trace Amps are extremely tough. As long as you keep the bands under control (as in not letting them turn all the knobs up to "11"), your amp should do quite well and won't cause any problems. And yes, leave it on in between sets. This will allow it to cool properly.

I use and love Trace gear, and it's never let me down. Don't worry about it.
  6. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    It should be fine. I've ran an old Traynor tubey for 3 hours continuously at decently loud volumes. No fans, hot room with bad airflow and had no trouble at all.. Such high end gear like what you'll be using should be able to handle lots of use.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My advice is to not let anybody use your amp. They can bring their own amps.
  8. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

I dont gig for a career- instead i find myself frequently being part of multiband jams, battle of the bands, and other such amateur hour events. I am usualyl the guy who offers to bring a stAck for everyone to use, to facilitate easy transition.

It's amazing how many guys JUMP at this and say, Sure, i 'll leave minehome (dont these guys want THEIR sound instead of someone elses!??!) It's also amazing how 90% of guys are cool, thankyou profusely, and offer to help carry it later. It's the 10% that ought ot be strung up and shot for showing no regard or appreciation forsomeone elses gear.

You will recognize VERY fast that therea re real Aholes in teh world, and 1 or 2 of them will be plkaying through YOUR gear.

Yeah, i still offer, and yea, this is confirmed time and time again.

(yes, i have turned guys down, unplugged powercords, and turned off powerstriips mid gig on guys who treat my gear like a 2 dollar hooker.)
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'm sure everything will be fine. That said I would keep an eye on things. If anyone gets out of hand then be prepared to step in.

I used an EA210/CXL112/iAMP800 at a blues gig recently. A couple of guys sat in for a tune or two. I use a Sadowsky and an NS Design EUB. I always have a great sound. Never have a problem 'competing ' with guitars and drummers.

One of the guys that sat in made the amp clip light come on like crazy. I don't think I have ever done that. I had to walk on stage and 'adjust' his settings. Actually, my settings but in the hands of a different player . . . .

The other bassist was standing right over the amp thumping away asking me for more bottom end. I assured him he was flattening everyone in the room.

Keep an eye on the gear.