Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VERY long term bass storage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by knight, Mar 16, 2004.

1. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    My search didn't reveal anything that answers the following question:

I need to be away for quite a long time, about 16 months to be precise :ninja: , and my basses will have to go to storage. Before you ask, no, I won't be sending them to you to look after. I'm thinking of putting them in a storage facility.

1. Would you go for a non-climate controlled facility? The difference in price is almost double. But then again I'm in Southeast Michigan, and the temperature changes can be fairly extreme.

2. Would you leave the instruments in their hard cases and gigbags? Store them vertically?

3. What about string and truss rod tension? Should I loosen both? Leave them as they are? Why?

4. Finally, how about cabs? Anything special I should be doing to them?

The thought of not seeing my babies for so long is hard to bear. But the thought of finding out that they're damaged is unbearable. Recommendations please!

Cheers,

knight

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would spring for the climate controlled storage.

I would leave the basses in hardshell cases. If using gigbags, I would put the gigbag inside of a box and tape it up. Store the basses upright as long as they are not leaning against the wall. Block them in with a cab. Or, store them flat, stacked no more than three high, with the strongest case on bottom, and weakest on top.

I would leave the strings tuned to pitch and the truss rod as is. IMHO, the constant pressure would result in fewer neck issues than leaving the bass under less tension than it was designed for. You might post this question in the Luthiers forum for a second opinion from a builder. They are, after all, the experts.

The cabs should be fine, again if you use a climate controlled facility. As long as there are no problems with condensation or leaks.

And while you are at it, spend $30 and get the best, strongest disc lock that money can buy. Don't risk your gear with a lock that a thief can get through in 30 seconds. Yeah, disc locks can be cut, too, but it takes several hours with a hacksaw. You cannot cut them with bolt cutters, or break them with a hammer. Something like this, and at least 90mm.

[​IMG]

3. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    Thanks very much Jeff! the lock suggestion is very good. I'll also post this for the luthiers to see, perhaps I'll get more ideas there.

Cheers,

knight

4. Can't stress the good lock thing enough. 14 or so years ago I was in the Army and got deployed for a relatively long period of time, while we were gone they had people that were getting kicked out, or broken or whatever "clean" our barracks. I had a good Master combo lock on my wall locker, but when I got home, I found out it only takes a good hammer blow to bust the lock and pop out the arm. I lost a lot of stuff...

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ameritage hardshell cases also come with a built-in humidifier, so you may want to invest in one of them.