1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very loud hum when fuzz on(Knobs down!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JDeewond, May 27, 2011.

1. Greets! Just got my hands on a SSBS Team Awesome Fuzz Machine but this hum has got me stunned.

I play a stingray 5 with the switch on humbuck. Tone controls are fairly neutral, no boost. I used the same setup(same cables and psu, same amp) with a rat and had no significant noise, maybe a bit but nothing big.

I get no noise when in bypass but get a huge low-mid hum when engaged even when all the knobs are turned down and in whatever switch setting. I haven't tried another psu yet(at work, will try tomorrow.)

One thing I tried(not necessarily relevant) was to have this chain..
    TU-2(Muted) -> TAFM -> Compressor with low ratio
    I think this made sense in removing the longer cables, the bass, and the amp out of the equation and only having 2 patch cables. As soon as I kick in the TAFM the compressor's light shines bright red like it's being hit with something real hot even though all knobs are down on the fuzz.

No fluorescent lights.

The only reason why I'm not considering the pedal as faulty is because I've gotten it from a great TBer(in a bullet proof bubbly package!) and the reputation SSBM has. I opened her up for curiosity's sake and everything is set so tight nothing in there can move.)

Any idea?

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    A solder joint may have come loose. But my first thought is a power issue. Are you daisy-chaining? If so, with what other pedals?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like a bad or incorrect power supply.

4. Thanks guys, I'm in the studio first thing tomorrow with a new psu. Plus I think we have a bunch lying around.

Funny thing, when I was browsing similar threads, I thought about pm'ing you bongo. My luck!

I usually go through something like this..
    TU-2 -> Rat Tail -> TAFM -> MultiComp -> GEB-7.
    So I cut the TAFM out and tried it on it's own, I don't know much about buffers but whatever it is, I didn't want it in there, plus a Rat in there right before seemed like a bad idea. Isn't it a bit weird that with the rat on the hum doesn't get worse one bit?

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    if different psu's don't fix it, email Brian at SS/BS. his contact email is on the SS/BS site.

he REALLY knows his stuff, gets back to you very quick and has gone way out of his way to make sure i'm happy with stuff i've bought of his. once of the best after-sales service guys out there.

6. I almost look forward to dealing with him for support that's how the guy's rep is. Didn't want to bother the man for a psu problem, if that's what it is. Fingers crossed.

7. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Brian rules!

8. Alright, done! Bought a 1Spot(was cheaper than a BOSS PSA-120s and I have heard only good things from TBers) and the TAFM is now as quiet as a fuzz will ever get. Delicious! Thanks again folks! I might just email Brian anyway to tell him how much I love this thing..

Future onlookers, do yourself a favor, if you have similar symptoms, get a new power supply STAT!

9. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    do it! he's a wicked funny guy, super knowledgeable and one of the nicest guys. his band he plays keyboards in is pretty boobies too - Cymbals Eat Guitars.

10. smllsnd/bigsnd

smllsnd/bigsnd Commercial User

Mar 18, 2009
    philadelphia, PA
    owner, smallsound/bigsound
    love me some boobies, btw.

great to hear it's working well now! anyone can always feel free to call me if they think they're having an issue - my number is on the info page on my site - we can usually talk it out in a few minutes...