Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very low end GAS.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pegwedge, Oct 18, 2005.

1. pegwedge

pegwedge

Oct 4, 2005
    West Virginia
    So I really need a new bass, but I want something cheap and something that I can upgrade to maybe gig with. Before I go any further I already own an SX Jazz and two Brices. I've been looking at the bottom of the line Dean. The Edge 09 I believe. I've heard very good things about Dean, but don't know about this one. If anyone has any advice or experience with this bass please inform me. I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a used Conklin Groove Tools. Those are some sweet basses.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You already own 3 low-end basses - why can't you gig out with those? Ask yourself why you *need* the Dean over the 2 SX's and the Brice.

It just doesn't make sense to buy a low-end bass simply for the sake of buying it. That's not GAS, that's bad financial decision-making.

4. pegwedge

pegwedge

Oct 4, 2005
    West Virginia
    I like that. You win.

/thread

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You could just upgrade the sx and make it very giggable.

6. Dump the 3 cheapies, mow some lawns, sell a kidney & get a very nice bass. You deserve it. :)

7. I've been selling blood plasma to buy a Sadowsky...:D

anyone need a pint? O+

anyone? it's FRESH!

anyone? HIV free!

anyone? Hepatitis free!

ANYBODY????

Come one guys...plasma's GOOD for you!

8. Is that for like a plasma TV? :rolleyes:

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Makes no sense to me. Unless you need to have some cash back, selling 3 basses to get ONE low-end bass will bring you absolutely nothing, except the loss of 3 low-end but still decent basses.

Though I would understand your vision if it was about selling the 3 basses for getting a used Ray, i.e., or anything else in a higher range.

Cheers
    Jay

10. sure...why not...need some?

11. But, no- all I need at the moment is sleep...

(where's the drooling emoticon when you need it?)

12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm for that idea.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why don't you sell off one or two of your current low end basses and buy a nice midrange instrument like a passive MTD Kingston or a Standard Deluxe Jazz?

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    And for maybe selling 2 of them, you can get a nice Schecter Diamond Series Stiletto. I just got one of their 5-string's (the Stiletto Custom bolt-on for $550) and MAN this thing is SWEET!. Definitely time to step up.

Have a look:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=101

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    And check out the Ultra, too. That's my favourite of Schecter's basses. Really neat, I think.