1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

very low volume from replaced pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pcake, May 19, 2019.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so i bought a set of pickups from a MiM P/J mustang and my husband put them in a cheap, passive ibanez GSR100EX. he wired them via a diagram he found of the MiM mustang, although we did find an error in that page from the gate.

the jazz pickup tests at around 7.5k ohms and the split at 11k.

when fully wired up, we ran into two issues. first, the bass is so quiet that we had to turn my 500 watt amp up halfway to get a quiet livingr oom sound, and he also plugged it (using a different cable) into a 20 watt guitar amp and had to turn way up.

second, in the position where both pickups should be on, the jazz pickup isn't on. if you tap it with a screwdriver, there's no sound.

we've replaced pickups before, but never with a 3 way switch, so i thought i'd ask you experienced pickup folks for advice. what did we do wrong and what are we missing?

edit:
    my newer schematic from fender has a .1 uf cap and his older schematic has .05uf. i haven't a clue if that would affect the volume.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. Did you try disconnecting one of the pickups to narrow down the problem?

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    doh! :facepalm:

no, we haven't. which is odd because we'd have done the equivalent with anything else. he soldered it all together, so now he's moaning about taking it apart. but it seems the smart thing would be to try each one.

my husband suspects the capacitor, btw. i can tell you this - my newer schematic from fender has a .1 uf cap and his older schematic has .05uf. i haven't a clue, alas, if that would affect the volume.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unless there's something I'm missing ,that would affect tone/frequency more than volume.

Maybe @BassmanPaul has some thoughts?

InhumanResource likes this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    we just figured that out - the tone cap isn't in the right place to affect volume. on the other hand, i originally bought the right cap, then my husband ordered the smaller one specified in his older specs, so we can replace the one that's in there tomorrow.

thanks for the shout out to BassmanPaul!

two fingers and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. 3-way toggle on a GSR100?

Wire it like this:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2H_3G_1V_1T.pdf

If you're re-using the original pots they should be 500k Ohm, but if not check that they are 500k Ohm.

Just because you're getting high DCR readings from the pickups doesn't mean they're any good. Check that the poles are actually magnetized.
    If it's hanging from a wall-hanger you should be able to pull it away from the wall slightly with the tip of a screwdriver to the pole piece.

ctmullins, jamro217 and pcake like this.
  7. I put an Audere preamp in an old 5 string and it had active only pickups in it. I didn’t think I’d ever get it right but Audere kept emailing me with suggestions. Be patient, you all will figure it out. BTW, The new preamp brought that old Carvin back from the dead. I played it in our Sunday service this morning and it was amazing!

EatS1stBassist and pcake like this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Can you get pickup sound in the isolated switch positions?

What wiring schematic are you using?

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the wires aren't the same in the seymourduncan diagram. the mustang pickups don't have 3 conductor wire. this is the newer of the 2 fender diagrams, although it's not as complete as the older one, but they show only 2. oh, and as you see, the pots are supposed to be 250k and they are.

mustang schematic.

yes, the poles are magnetized - we checked before putting 'em in. i really appreciate them, btw.

thanks! we will - but not today.

10. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Where is the J PU in your diagram? I'm confused, what about like this?
    PJBass.

11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You probably have something grounded by mistake.

12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    the j pickup is only in the older diagram for reasons only fender would know.

btw, this one that you posted has a ground connection that's totally different than in the older fender diagram. we're going to try changing it tomorrow.

my husband followed the schematic he has, but it's older and differs from the one that Reedt2000 posted. we're going to try changing the ground tomorrow.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. When you have the soldering iron out to change the ground as mentioned above, maybe consider unsoldering the connections on the output jack and connect each pickup, then both, directly to the jack.

It's what I'd do to definitively determine if the pickups, or elsewhere, is the area I need to concentrate on.

And good luck. This kinda stuff is irritating.

EatS1stBassist, rllefebv and pcake like this.
  14. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Good luck. Also make sure there aren't any accidental grounds to the shielding. For example a lug bent against the shieliding or a wire passing through a lug to the ground by mistake.

The other thing it could be is a weak solder joint.

EatS1stBassist, Reedt2000 and pcake like this.
  15. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    That is weird. At first I thought the diagram was for the older Mustang design which had only a single (split-coil) pickup, but then it wouldn't need the three-way switch. If you have two pickups I wouldn't try to work from a diagram that only shows one.

pcake likes this.
  16. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Check the solder joints and make sure the three way is wired correctly, not the middle lug to ground. Sounds like that could be the culprit.

pcake likes this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've forwarded this thread to my husband. hopefully he'll respond to both.

ArieX is usually a soldering god, but it couldn't hurt to go through all the joints.

hopefully this will be an easy thing to sort out!

jamro217 likes this.
  18. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

The diagram in post #10 looks right. Thanks, Reedt2000.

Spidey2112 and Reedt2000 like this.
  19. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Definitely go by the Seymour Duncan diagram. Fender doesn't always show all of the connections and it's easy to make a mistake. I think anyone who has wired a bass has had to go back and troubleshoot, I know I have...

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Check your pots too. If you’re cranking the onboard volume and getting no significant changes you could have a bad one.

jamro217 likes this.