1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Very odd P-Bass mod request.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slapcatt, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Slapcatt

Slapcatt

Jun 7, 2020
    I have someone that wants his P-Bass wired so that the pickup (that is 2 coils in series to make one pup) he wants the coils separate and wants to have the "tone" control only active on the bottom (D&G strings) coil. Any ideas, I'm totally out of ideas. No matter what combination, dual gang pot, push/pull...the tone will always control both coils due to the output summing at the mono output jack.

2. Yes it will. I believe the old stack knob Jazz basses with concentric knobs had resistors to provide some separation of the controls at the expense of a somewhat lower output. The only other thing I can think of would be an active buffer / blend type control for each pickup half but that’s getting pretty complicated for what I’m guessing the customer wants.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Weird. Someone else had the exact same question a few weeks ago.

My reply was Bill’s P-J Wiring Diagram. Omit his master tone control. His “blend” pot is really a tone pot for his J pickup. So substitute your D/G coil for his J pickup, and your E/A coil for his P pickup.

Report back if you decide to try this!

4. If the P is wired as standard (in series), it is possible to have a tone pot only work on one coil. Solder a wire to either end of the short wire that joins the two coils. Then reinstall the pickup so the earth wire comes from the DG coil and the hot wire from the EA. Then run the tone control from that extra wire.

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Another solution is to wire each segment as a separate pickup with its own volume and tone, according to Rickenbacker 4003 wiring with the "Ric-O-Sound" jack, and send the output of each pickup to a different amplifier.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021