1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Very popular question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 13, 2001.

  1. I need an amp to play in my church, and since my bday is tomorrow, Ill have a nice lump of cash. Since Im gonna start a punk band fairly soon, its my goal to kill 2 birds with one big amp. I know 100 watts will suffice for church (probably an Ampeg BA-115), but will I ever hear myself with a loud drummer in a basement if I use it for punk stuff?

    Any recomendations for an amp that is cost effective that can compete against a drummer?
  2. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    If I was concerned about cutting through drums, I'd be thinking multiple 10"s before getting a 15."
  3. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    How much does that Ampeg 115 cost? If it's anywhere near $700. Get the Carvin Redeye RC210. Anyone on this board that has tried it has given it high marks. It's small enough to cart around, but its big enough to knock your guitarist over if he strays too close. You won't have any trouble with your drummer... and later on when you want to kick your fans in the chest, tack a 1x18 on the bottom of it. Good luck. :)
  4. The Ba-115 is $400 new, that is why I ma considering it, my parents are totally against anything used, so I cant really go that way either :(
  5. Bruce Lindfield

    Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

    The "Very Popular Answer" is "You need 300 watts minimum to play out!" :D
  6. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, unfortunately... That carvin would double your price... It 6Xs your power. But if you need to spend around $400, I think Carvin's PB200 has 160w (which maybe be exactly the same as the Ampeg when you talk about CLEAN volume)


    Here is their link if you want to compare features with that amp. One nice thing is that it enables you to biamp through 2 4 ohm jacks or I guess bridge through 1 8 ohm jack. Having a speaker out definately gives you more loudness possibility.


    here is ampeg's b2 115 combo amp manual. It looks like it has similar features and more power to me. Is this the same as the one you are getting? In comparing this ampeg to the carvin, I chose the ampeg myself.

    Of course the carvin that is twice as much (the redeye) is better... no surprise there. :)
  7. NJXT


    Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'll second that (well ... at least 200W but the bigger, the better).
    You may try to get a Carvin Combo (RC210, Cyclop ?) or a Carvin head and a cab (in another brand since Carvin cabs seem to lack efficiency).

  8. There is no such thing as "too much wattage" :D

    Except maybe for any given cab. Don't want to be cooking speakers.

    Carvin seems to have good stuff for the price. Never played through any of their stuff though.

  9. How much is a nice lump of cash? I would recommend getting a Hartke or Trace Elliot.
  10. My Buster 200 is all I need.....Why do feel that is not enough power....200 watts all tube power, this thing is super loud and clear.........By the way it is only for stage volume anyway......Anytime I have played out, the sound crew puts a wedge monitor at my mic stand, and we are playing through a large PA......The only one who has to hear your stack is yourself, and listening to the monitor is usually better because you hear the mix and not just yourself...........
  11. Well, that's a whole different can of beans. I have the same amp, and can say that it would easily drown out a solid state amp of similar wattage. I think the guy who asked the question is interested primarily in solid state.

    I think it's always best to assume that the amp you buy will be used for stage volume. I have yet to play in a club where anything but vocals go through the PA.
  12. Acacia


    Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    playing in a church band can vary. I know of some guys using the Peavey TNT (1x15") type stuff and it sounds fine. Most church bands that I have seen never needed to be very loud since sound carries so much in a Sanctuary.
  13. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    Acacia- But in the original post, the target is an amp that will work in church AND in a punk band,
  14. yes i use a peavey tnt in church and it is way loud enough. and we are loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Gabu


    Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    How come I don't get to bring my stuff to Church???

    *grins evilly*


    Anyways, in regard to the actual question here, within the apparent budget constraints. It seems to be the Ampeg B2 1x15 combo will be good and when you need a boost, pick up a extra cab or two. According to the website if you tack on the extra cab it boosts your 100w amp to 300ish... I forget the numbers. But anyways, click on the link in my previous post for the specs.
  16. The B2 115 is the combo B2R (or vice-versa), then it's 200w 8ohms, 350w 4ohms. The 115 will probably be an 8ohm, the extension speaker would need to be an 8ohm as well.

    it's a pity you can't buy used - used solid state amps are always a good buy, heaps cheaper, and not much to go wrong on them. plus (usually) for the same price as a new 115 combo you'll pick up a separate head and speaker half-stack which would give more options and power straight outta the hat.

    now, used tube amps, however...
  17. I have a nice traynor tube head just sitten in the garage, so it would make sense to get a used cab and use that, but I dont know how a 4x10 plus a tube head will do in a church setting, its hard to get everything you want, ya know?
  18. The traynor + a 410 would rock nicely, for almost anything. And a used 410 (or even new considering the grunt your US $ has!) would cost sweet f.a.

    My rig is a 50w tube head (local copy of a Fender Bassman) into a 4ohm Ampeg 410. Pretty damn loud, actually louder than the 350w solid-state B2R I was running.

    It still provides a nice deep lush clean sound for quieter practises/etc, but can be pushed quite nicely (with a bit of grind) for punkier stuff.

    At least with a rig like the Traynor + a 410 once/if the head dies, or you decide to up/cross-grade to another head, you'll still have to 410 to plug into. Also, the 410 would work nicely as an extension to a decent combo amp (ie use a B115 for church/quiet times, add the 410 when you need it).
  19. Cornbread


    Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    You don't always need more that 300 watts for a bass amp!

    The BA-115 will work fine in a church; it's probably going to be too loud depending on the church acoustics. And I'd say it will do fine in a punk band too. I don't know how loud you play or what your guitarist uses, but I know from experience that the BA-115 can be really honking and loud in a small space. Once you get into large rooms filled with people, that's a different story. The biggest problem I have is hearing myself over guitars. Even if I can FEEL my sound, the guitars just cut right through to my ears.
  20. FleaisGod

    FleaisGod Guest

    Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a BA-115 in a basement band and it doesnt stand up that well...That might be because my guitarist has 8X12's :). Remember, the BA is only 100 watts...

Share This Page