Very positive experience - Roscoe basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassaussie, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I was recently lucky enough to pick up a very old Roscoe bass for a really good price. Things like Roscoes don't come up very often in Europe, and since I'd always been a fan of his basses (based on looks and various comments I'd seen on the 'net), this seemed to be too good an opportunity to miss out on.

So, having picked it up and played with it for a few days now, two things have struck me. First, this guy was making some superb quality basses even back in the early 90s - I can only imagine how good his current stuff is. The neck on the bass is superb, and the body, although not quite to my taste visually, is incredibly comfortable (it's the LG shape). Add on a nice sound, and it's a seriously pro-level instrument.

The second thing that hit me was the enthusiasm and interest the guys at Roscoe have in their instruments, whether it be a brand new 7 string bass, or something Keith made back in the early 90s. I emailed Roscoe with some questions on Tuesday evening, and had heard back from Keith himself by the following morning. Gard also stepped in with a couple of emails to throw some additional light on the subject. It was such a pleasure to see these guys show this kind of interest, and yet, from everything I'd heard, it really came as no surprise.

So props to you, Keith and Gard - keep up the good work.

This is the bass here - it's got the original Roscoe headstock, which was obviously influenced by the 80s. Funny enough, it's actually a very well balanced headstock, completely unlike some of the other pointy headstocks out there.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hah that headstock is funny. Looks good in an old way :)
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice bass. I'd love to stumble across one of those around my parts.

4. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001

Yeah, the headstock is a bit of a hoot, but then, I was wearing a Godawful mullet around the time this was made, so I'm going to cut Keith a bit of slack on it!! :D
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As a former Roscoe owner, I can vouch for their quality and Mr. Roscoe's willingness to help customers. Thank God, he got rid of that headstock for his later basses!:ninja:

All kidding aside, that is one neat find, Bassaussie!
  6. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Thanks. And to think, I didn't even tell you what I paid for it!! :D Needless to say, I was very happy with the price, particularly for such a high quality instrument.
  7. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    The body on that bass is sweet! Congrats on your purchase.

8. Nice! I have not had the pleasure of owning a Roscoe, but know from my previous experience with Gard at his last gig that the service and support must be first rate.

I recently played Vic's Roscoe, and while it's not my personal tone, I'd put it up there with the 'best of the best' for that warm, mid punchy soapbar/humbucker boutique sound! The fit and finish is also superb!
  9. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Congrats to you fellow Euro Roscoe owner !
    It seems that Roscoe is becoming realy popular here. I'm a member of a french forum dedicated to bass and in the last year the number of Roscoe owners went from 1 to 5 and let me tell you that everybody rave about those beautiful instruments on the forum !