1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Very rare Danley designed Servodrive ContraBass subwoofer

Discussion in 'For Sale: Other Stuff (Not bass related)' started by K2000, Oct 10, 2013.

1. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Fully functional Contrabass subwoofer in excellent cosmetic condition. Rat fur (carpet) covering (not tolex).

If you don't know about these subs, they are very interesting. Two active 15 inch speakers, and two 18 inch passive radiators. The active speakers are driven with servo motors (not magnets) which can get the speaker into excursion (and stop) in a split second, making them extremely accurate and capable of very low frequncies. These speakers are renowned for supposedly getting down to 8hz (!) Designed by Tom Danley, there's a story of the prototype being used to transmit elephant mating calls in Africa. They originally sold for thousands of dollars, and were sometimes installed in amusement parks and movie theaters.

I'm sad to let this go, but it's not being used, and I want to thin the herd. I originally stumbled across it on Craigslist and purchased on a whim, hoping that I could integrate it into my live music setup, but that didn't happen. As we know, subwoofers work best in multiples, if you need maximum volume. This single sub didn't add any extra thump to my four Bag End 18's. This should really belong to somebody who can put it to use. If you have room for it, it's also a nice conversation piece. :)

I prefer to sell to somebody who is already familiar with Servodrive subs, if that's possible. If you're not familiar with Servodrive Contrabass, there is a good amount of information online, including the manual in PDF form (if you can't find it, I can send it to you).

$600, pickup highly preferred. Ridgewood (Queens) location. I am willing to ship, but it will be extra (I would guess at least 100 dollars) and I don't guarantee safety (although I am an excellent packer).

contrabass_zps1c887c9d.

I'll post this in the Amps section later, but IMO this would be ideal for home theater use, or a small PA setup. However, the guy I bought this from claimed that he used it as part of a bass rig. Note: no handles.

alotabass likes this.
  2. Still available?

3. interested

4. Robert Nixon

Robert Nixon Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2018
    I have one of these contrabass units that needs some work, but I want to sell it.
    It used to work great and I really like it, but it it wound up in storage for too long.
    Belts may be deteriorated, or it may be simple.
    Could just be a corroded faston connection.
    Works intermittently, with low output.
    Has not been fried.
    bob@nixeco.com for more