Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very sad email I received today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Here it is...

Dear Mr. Grosson,
    I'm Justin from the **** **** Youth Group. You, Mr. Jewels, and your group from TalkBass donated some instruments and amplifiers to the Yout Group music group a few years ago. I was their bassist and I have been using the 2 Fenders you donated. I want you to know that you have made my life a very happy one. The guys and I have been been playing at group parties and functions every weekend, thanks to your kindness. I stopped playing the bass last Christmas. I was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor early in 2005 and I now have no movement in my left arm. I have accepted my conditin but felt I needed to let you know that you have made a very beig impact in my life. Being able to play with the group made it easier for me to deal with everything. We have a new bassist now. He can't play the fretless yet but he loves the p-bass.
    Mr. Grosson, from my whole group and myself, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.
    Justin *********

I just found out his condition is terminal.
    Anyway, just wanted to share this with you as many of you helped to put the instruments in the hands of Justin and his Youth Group (through the Bass 4 Kids program). Michael Jewels... you're fretless jazz donation has made someone very happy (and will hopefully make somebody else as happy). Thank you.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's sad to hear, but it is very nice also that your gifts were appreciated. Apparently, you guys made a big impact on his life, and that is great.

3. Yes, very sad. Have had tears since I heard the news. It is nice to know that music, and the ability to make it, can have such an impact on ones life. I am happy to have been a part of that, along with many fellow TalkBass members.

P.S. Justin turned 18 yesterday....... sigh! :crying:

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Wow, thats unbelievably sad. My thoughts and prayers go out him and his family.

I'm glad your donations made such a positive impact on him. That's a very honorable deed. Makes me proud to be a member of this board with such great people as yourselves.

5. The Bass 4 Kids project was totally cool, I always felt bad I had nothing I could offer. :(

So sad to read the news, but alas, it's great you helped make such a difference!

6. Oh my God, I don't know what to say.

This is beyond words.

18. :bawl:

Mike

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You guys are good people. Focus on how happy you made him, instead of his illness.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Man, you guys are golden! It's threads like these that make me put up with the stupid ones. God bless you guys and him.

9. knowin what yall did for his group. its nice to know some people still have heart. im so proud to be a forum with all yall.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    This is very sad. :(

11. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    So sorry to hear about Justin's condition. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. News like this makes my problems seem so small. I think it's great what you guys did to bring some joy to these kids.

Cheers,
    Jim

12. Its never about the outcome of life. Its always about the journey. As long as you live, you'll constantly be on your journey. And from that journey comes the memories you look back on and smile about.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Very sad. My heart goes out for him.

The next time someone asks "what's so great about TalkBass?" All we have to do is point them to this thread and to you guys.

15. It's sad to have anyone die this young. But he is obviously ready for it, and that is a sign of maturity that many of us will never reach.

At least he has had enjoyment in his life. Let's all hope that his remaining days are as enjoyable as they have been. And maybe, just maybe, a miracle can happen.

Well, having read this, it makes me want to do something good. Anyone ready to do another Bass 4 Kids project?

Rock on
    Eric

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I thought the same thing, I was not part of any nice things that TB has done before (for some reasons) but I’d love to donate and be a small part of, if you guys do another one like this?

17. I'm in.

18. It invloved a lot of running around, a lot of work, a lot of problems... as a result I put the project on indefinite hold some time ago. Now, after reading Justins email, I am beginning to once again see that it was all worth it, and feel it's time to start it up again.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

May God Bless this young man.

20. One person is all it takes to start a movement.:D