Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very Satisfactory Pre/Amp Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 22, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Having recently obtained the Aguilar DB659 from Mr. IvanMike, I decided to pair it up with a Mackie 1400i amplifier in the pursuit of a "fatter" alternative to my Stewart 2.1/Demeter 201S rack. Fatter, it is. A very fine sounding pre with a rather thick, warm sonic character but still plenty of upper register sweetness. In short, a very musical pre. The Mackie puts out 1400 watts into 4 ohms which is just about perfect with the Epifani T212. Just add a Roscoe SKB 3007 and I'm likin' it...a lot.

[​IMG]

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'm building something similar, and had a question.

Do you like having your power amp in the same case as the preamp and goodies?

I'm undecided about whether I want 40# of amp in the case, or if it will be a lot easier to manage it in it's own box.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You have an amazing selection of bass rigs, bb. Do you notice any difference in tone between the Mackie and the Stewart or is the difference simply in the different preamps?

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I do.

There are lighter-weight alternatives to 40# amps (Stewart, QSC, etc). My Stewart weighs only 17#. Plus, it's very convenient that all my rack goodies (including amp) are always connected.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    damn..........i miss that pre already
    yes it is musical but i couldn't justify owning 3 preamps
    speaking of seperate cases.........currently i have my pl pro, alembic pre, alembic f1x, and a stewart 2.1 in a 6 space skb
    no room for the old style 1 and 1/2 space demeter
    i don't want to go to an eight space for various reasons, biggest one being that the six space actually shoehorns into my 1990 sentra trunk !
    (just try that with an epi 212......lol)
    i have been toying around with the idea of putting the poweramp in a two space or three space and putting the demeter in the rack with an a/b switch routed after the pre outs in order to switch preamps by unplugging and moving my instrument cable and hitting a button on the top of my rack
    or i could just buy a demeter h series or 201s and put it in the six space, but then if i had that kind of money, i probably would have kept the aggie

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    boogie,
    Sounds like you've got another great choice for different sounds! I've never played through the Aguilar amps or pre-amps. I have heard some great things about them. I'll have to check one out next time I'm in Atlanta (hopefully I can find someone there who stocks them). For now I'm still in heaven going back and forth between the Demeter HBP-1 and Alembic F1-X and the Stewart 1.6 amp.
    :)

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i see we posted at the same moment joeme
    haha

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    And looks like you've got some great taste in equipment IvanMike!:D

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'm just too cheap- Yamaha PB-1 and a QSC-RMX1450 are what I can afford. I'm not completely impoverished, I do have a Peavey Minx and Ampeg B-100r for small stuff.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nope, I'd say the diff is the pre's, Fuzzy.

One thing about the Aguilar in terms of "creature comforts": it doesn't have a tuner send. So if you use a rack tuner and happen to need the effects loop (I don't) you may be inconvenienced. The effects send works fine for the tuner, of course, and gives you control from the front so you can turn the tuner off and on with the level control. The other thing that is somewhat different with the Aggie is that it has no off/on power switch. If you run it, as I do, with a power strip, it comes off and on with the Furman.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Regarding having everything in one rack: I wouldn't have it any other way. I got enough stuff to drag in at load/in as it is! Plus that SKB fiver I'm using has wheels and a handle so you can pull it along just like at the airport.:D

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    jeez.
    i thought the aggie did have a power switch on the back?
    maybe not.........
    one super cool thing i noticed re the aggie is that the effects loop can be run in series (like on most amps) or parallel (like on swr amps), which allows you to blend in the desired level of effects to dry sound
    this is somthing that all amp makers should consider as it rules for chorus, wah, and distortion
    btw
    like on my demeter, with the aggie i would use a high quality y cord (if you were gonna run it stereo) and use just one output as the power amp feed and use the 2nd full range out as a tuner send

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    :oops: My bad! You're totally right, Ivan. I didn't even see that little sucker beside the power cord when I mounted it in the rack. Sorry for the mis-info. peeps.

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i LOVE my aggie 659!

although, i'll be checking out the aguilar booth at namm 2003 for other new stuff!

f

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Me too, Fred.

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    boogieB: we gonna hook up?

i'll be hanging at the Lightwave booth among others!

PM me for my cel phone #!

fred

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. I'll be there the 16th. We'll exchange cel #'s before the event.