Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very scary, but stereotypical

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The store that I work at sells guns. Quite a few of them, actually. Yesterday a guy cam in and picked up a Ruger 10/22, 5 clips, and a 500 round box of ammo for it. He also picked up a Remingotn 870 12-gauge pump action shotgun, and a whole case (200 rounds) of ammo for it.

This in itself is not scary. The fact that he was wearing a POSTAL UNIFORM is what is scary!!:eek:

Well, if there is a masacre, I know where he got the material to do it from.

Rock on
    Eric

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D

when i was on the road, there was this huge dude named Tiny - he was a very, very nice guy. well, we started talking about guns and how he would go out into boonies and take all of his guns (many). i finally asked him what he did for a living and the told me be was a letter carrier! we both got a kick out it, but interesting non the less.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm sure he's just going squirrel hunting. That's what I do with my AK-47 with attachable grenade launcher.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :p

5. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    :scowl: going postal

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There is a little local legend over here named Tiny who is huge as well. He has a very high-pitched voice as well. He is known as a guy that always asks to take a penny from the "take a penny, leave a penny" jar to convenience store clerks. He frequently offers "Quarter for a cigarette?!" His most famous anecdotes was how he went to see a movie, and in the middle of it, he stood up and took a whiz on his seat. He was kicked out of the theater. For revenge he got back in and took a dump in the sink.

7. Isn't that gun in GoldenEye?

8. You'd think eventually someone would come up with a more creative name for big guys than 'tiny', but they never do.

That movie theatre story is classic.

9. Do you really have to make every thread about PB? :D

Leigh

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats going in my sig for a while, just because i have nothing cool there at the moment. *high five*

11. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hey eric, do you know if you have started selling the new hi-cap 10/22 magazines yet? cant wait to get meself some of those 50 rd clips!

yeah, squirrel hunting with big rifles.... is surprisingly fun. Though an AK wouldnt be very good as to poor accuracy, but since you have the grenade launcher, i think that you will be ok.

slick

12. Nope, no 50 rounders yet. Just the Hot Lips clips. And lots of them!! Plus a REALLY cool Czech made version of the British Enfield .303!! I want it, so badly.

If you want to go all out, why not do what that guy who just got busted in Beaverton did? He had, and I quote:

1 .50cal BMG heavy machine gun with ammo (200 rounds or so)
    1 MG42 .30cal heavy machine gun (think Germany WW2)
    2 M60 .30cal heavy light machine guns (2 pigs for the price of one!!)
    2 M249 5.56mm light machine guns (kinda redundant)
    Multiple AK47s in many configurations
    Multiple AR15s in many configurations
    Several Sten Mark 4 and 5 sub machine guns
    1 UMP45SD submachine gun (best sub of Rainbow Six!!:D)
    And others!!!

C'mon. I mean, I can at least see the rationale behind some of the gun nuts in this country. But private ownership of a BMG?! Nuh-uh. No happening. You know what would happen if that thing went off accidentaly? The round would go through several houses before it stopped, not to mention whatever, or whoever, was in them!!:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

13. In some states you could legally own all of those guns. A sickeningly rich friend has a collection of fully autos about twice that size. Here you just need to pay the 300 dollar fee for a class 3 permit on each weapon and pass a more extensive background check.

14. I know. Apparently, most of these guns were bought in Florida. But still, a BMG fer cryin' out loud!! That's not a self-defense weapon, that's a full blown anti-tank artilery piece!!

Rock on
    Eric

15. That's opinion though, we have to look at the stats and admit that it's not really a danger according to the numbers. Think of the situations a law abiding person will use these guns in: hunting, recreational shooting. If someone comes into my house I'm going to bring out the ar-15 or walther .40, not try to restle with a BMG (if I had one). So I think the scenario of an urban discharge going through your neighbors wall is extremely unlikely.

I do agree that for these type of weapons more extensive background checks are in order. Although for a semi-auto barret or such no additional check is needed here!

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    IronYuppie,

I'm with you on the stats thing. Since the 1930's we've had the laws on machine guns where you have to pay the $300 tax and get approved. Since then there's only been, I believe, one illegal homicide committed by someone with a legally acquired fully auto gun and that was by a corrupt police officer. However, they instituted another law in 1986 that made it so that you could not legally acquire any full-autos made after 1986...just doesn't make sense...these laws get passed based on emotional hysteria.

Most crimes and murders that involve guns get committed with cheap, junky small-caliber pistols. Many people buy the semi-auto/bolt-action .50 bmg rifles for long-range target shooting competition (although I don't know of many people who can afford to buy a full-auto .50 machine gun...it would have to be made before 1986 to be legal in the US thus making those available to civilians even more costly than they already are). I don't know that there's ever been a crime committed with one..especially since they cost thousands of dollars and most criminals can't afford one. Many people don't realize that there are gun ranges that can accomodate and contain .50 BMG rifles with shooting distances of 1000 yards or more.

brad cook

17. Just keep in mind, you don't need a BMG to fire BMG rounds. I've seen conversion kits that let your (legal, semi-auto) ar-15 style rifles fire BMG rounds. Also, I remember seeing in a shop in alexandria some type of semi-auto bull-pup style gun that fired BMG rounds. Totally legal.

18. Maybe they've changed the law or it's a state issue, but here you can buy fully-auto weapons that are brand new. About six months ago I inquired at my local gun shop about getting a new fully auto bushmaster AR, I was quoted a price of 7K. (plus a long-*** wait).

19. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Fair enough. I have no idea what it's like where you live, so far be it from me to make any comment. I hope they make you feel safer, and that you never have to use them.

20. Somehow I doubt that. An AR15 weighs what, 7 pounds? An BMG weighs 80. If you remove this weight from a gun and fire a round that powerful:

A) You would break your shoulder and probably more, simply from the recoil of a gun with no weight to help dampen the shock

B) The gun would probably shatter, as the steel would not be thick enough to withstand the recoil

C) Given that a BMG round is 12.7mm x 99mm, it wouldn't fit in the receiver for the 5.56mm x 38mm (is 38 right? I don't remember the standard length of AR rounds) You would have to drastically change the overall structure of the gun.

Now I know you can get mod kits for .270 or .30 cal rounds, and those are quite common (usually .270, 7mm, 7.62mm x 34mm, .30-30, .303 or .308 rounds) but going up to a shell that large? I don't believe it.

I will admit, that by the number it isn't a problem. But given that the guy was busted on drug charges and had, in addition to the 200 marajuana plants, quite a bit of PCP and Acid, it doesn't take much to think up a scenario of him getting totally mind-blown and going on a drug-crazed rampage. So my orginal statement of a urban (well, sub-urban, but that's not much better) discharge is still valid.

Rock on
    Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.