Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very specific fretless soundclip request

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eli M., May 19, 2005.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I played some cheap fretless today that had a J-MM pickup configuration, with the MM in the standard Jazz bridge position. Although the playabililty was crappy, I liked how the pickup sounded there. I use flatwounds but of course the bass was strung with rounds, so... Does anyone have soundclips of a bass with the following characteristics:

-Fretless
    -flatwounds
    -MM pickup in bridge position

I'd like to know if it was something about that particular bass, or if that's a pickup configuration I might like. Thanks in advance.

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Should be in recordings. Do a search for fretless EBMM.

-Eric.

3. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've heard all there is to hear on TB of MM clips. This was a different pickup placement anyway.

4. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes that is very cool. :bassist:

6. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
  7. Direct in my former soundcard Guillemot Isis (I now have a Presonus Firepod). There is no compression or EQing on both tracks. The drums are midi (I guess you figured it out...:D )Thanks for your comments.:cool:

8. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    how did u do that harmonic thing? i always wanted to know

9. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005

Pinched harmonics rock when done right.. and I really dug how they were used in the above clip.

There are certain places on the strings off the fingerboard (over the pickups) that can produce them.

Press down fully on the string as you would for any normaly played note, not lightly touch like you would for normal harmonics.
    Then pluck the string as you normaly would with your thumb on the plucking hand VERY lightly touching that sweet spot on the string.

It's hard to get at first but once you get it down it's amazing what you can do with them.

10. here the harmonics are slided: You play a regular harmonic and then you just slide the note using the fretboard... just as you do on a fretted bass.
    It's really easy on a fretless.