1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very Specific Thread 5 String Breeedlove Strings for my aplication please?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    So I'm looking for a new set of strings for the aforementioned acoustic bass guitar and looking for some suggestions. I really am looking for known experience with this type bass and and my application. Not really looking to know what you like for a different application please.

First off keep in mind what bass we have here and the Low B can be a little weaker than the rest and the G string is a tad weak too. I use this thing amplified all the time so no worries about acoustic only use. I generally use this bass at my church gig playing contemporary music. My band is a full band with acoustic drums (mic on kick drum) keyboards, electric guitars, acoustic guitars.

I just spent a year with a set of Labella tape-wound and though I liked them I was thinking for that kind of money they should last longer (broke a string).

I want loud, even, warm sound, some bright, long lasting and not super exspensive.

I was thinking about a set of Bronze that are coated but I'm open to suggestion here please.

And yes I searched but feel free to direct me otherwise.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If a LaBella broke, contact LaBella. Also, check to see that your bridge saddle is well burnished, and that the break angle back to the anchor peg is appropriate for the particular string.

There are two sets of strings that meet your criteria: D'Addario coated Reds and LaBella Copper tapes. The D'Addario is less expensive, but the D string is stronger than it needs to be, which may cause balance problems, and the LaBella tapes are expensive, but worth it and last "forever," so the cost-over-time factor is good.

3. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I just broke a Labella Tape-wound so not sure that's gonna be a long laster for me.

I checked the bass out today the bridge appears fine to me. I do not see anything that would cut the string. I guess the angle is a little steeper than say my Stingray but that is the nature of an acoustic bridge I believe? I'm guessing acoustic strings were designed to go on an acoustic bass? I need to order some strings today so I need to decide what to do.

4. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I just ordered a set of D'Addario Coated Phosphor Bronze from Bass Strings Online. I will report back on these, how they perform, how long they last, how they sound, etc.... I usually buy several sets of strings at a time but on this bass I need to sus out what works best and what the best value is for me. This is going to take some time. This particular bass is not really a perfect instrument, it has it's flaws. That being said I use as a tool. I set in front of the computer with this thing and run down tunes to learn and dissect for our praise-band. I also play it at church most of the time because it is light and convenient for a whole 5 songs. Usually at club gigs and the like I play my Stingray as this acoustics's flaws would be too much for three or for hours worth of music but for 5 songs I can deal with it and not having to plug into anything at home while working up new material is a plus too. I just need to find the string that works for me. Looks like the White Tapes are cheaper now than they were when I purchased them last year?

Would a set of flat-wounds work on an acoustic bass like this or regular round-wounds? What are other alternatives for amplified playing with and instrument like this?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well I guess I'm having a conversation with my self. :D

I just remembered I had a set of fairly new D'Addario flat wound XL Chromes and so I stuck them on the Breedlove and plugged in, seems to work fairly well. I will report back after playing tomorrow. Heck I might even like this beeter than what I just ordered. How do the coated bronze strings fair as far as the squeakies??????

6. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    You can use virtually any string you want. I wouldn't discount the La Bellas because one broke after nearly a year. What sort of tone do you want out of that bass is a better question.

7. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Change of direction here. After trying out the flat-wounds I have decided I like using electric strings. The only thing I don't like about the flat-wounds is the extra tension so I'm moving to some round wounds and even canceled my order for the coated D's and ordered some round would electric strings in their place.