1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very strange and cheap amp and cab but sounds really cool!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Music_for_life, May 24, 2011.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    At our rehearsing room they have an amp from an Argentinian brand that is call Wenstone and a very strange cab.. It is a woofer and a horn( i think) the size is 1x16, I think from the 80s. The speaker is not for bass only, you can use it for keyboards or voice or monitor.
    It spounds very clear and with a lot of clank and high frequencies that I like beacause with my musicman I can turn a lot of lows from the bass control of the bass. The slap tone is very 70s sounding and it is perfect for playing left hand slap patterns.
    Comparing it with my Gallien Krueger 1001 rb2 and Hartke xl 4x10 cab, I think it has deepper lows but it sounds boomy comparing to the other amp. It is difficult to get the clanky steve harris tone..in the rehearsal amp I only plug it in and it sounds like a metal amp. Why does it sound better??? I cant understand.
    I play in a progressive metal band so the amp is nice for rehearsals...
    What I can do to make my gk amp and hartke cab sound like the other amp but conserving deepper lows??
    By the way I have a sadowsky outboard preamp....It can help me to achieve a similar tone??
    Can you name some bassist that play thorugh different equipment than a bass only amp and cab??
    Thanks

2. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    Any??

3. Robal

Robal

Oct 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Could it be "Westone" instead? You can find info on that brand, but it does not come from Argentina.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    What your experiencing, IMO, is the focused, somewhat overdriven/scooped sound from the small combo speaker that’s difficult to replicate with a larger more powerful amp, unless you crank it up to near ear-splitting levels. It’s why many players record with smaller, mic’d drivers while mixing in direct signals for depth and “clean”.
    In the 70’s, many amps weren’t very powerful and getting good ripping tones just meant turning up the gain or overpowering the speakers to a near point of destruction. Difficult sound to achieve with the GK1001rbII and a 410 cab, unless you have some “organic” sounding distortion pedal to plug into first. Many pedals on the market today try to achieve the sound you describe. I would go to GC and plug into the same GK amp while trying as many pedals as you can.

5. A few years ago I had a wenstone BE 3000 head. Which is a 300watts solid state head. I used it with a hartke XL 410 and a sansamp programmable and I had a nice sound.
    I sold it and went for a Laney combo.
    Nowadays I have a 210 Hartke XL so I'm planing to get the wenstone head ahead again.