Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very Strange Grabber on the bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
  2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    [​IMG]
    "The frets are well worn..." :rolleyes:

I've never seen one like it.

3. i find it very hard to believe that this bass is 100% original...i've noticed that many people cut off that lower horn on grabbers, i used to see them all the time on the bunny bass website, back when they had the funny looking basses section.
    i wouldn't buy it, it looks too worn, and cut up for it being worth anything...i've never heard of 3 jazz pups either, someone probably put them in theirselves...
    i wouldn't buy it...

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    You gotta love the string winding.

I think I recall seeing one of these. I grew up in Toledo OH and there was a music store called Penguin Music that I went to as a kid. Hanging on the wall they had two Gibson Grabbers. One was natural finish, black pickguard with the moveable pickup. The other was solid black and I seem to recall it was alot like this one. This would have been around '80-'81.

5. At $50 it looks like a good experiment if nothing else. Does the Gibson web site have a history page, or a forum?

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Interesting body shape... It's original? I remember seeing a Grabber that was modded to look nearly teardrop shape, granted that eBay mentioned something about the body mod.

The frets look like something Lee Sklar would have done. ;)

7. I think I've seen stock 3 PU Gibson basses- beyond that, yuck/ow, my eyes.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like the frets were intentionally grinded down to try to get a fretless.

9. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The 3 Jazz-style pickups thing was standard on the G-3 basses. Not sure about that lower horn, though. That thing needs a serious fret job, too.

10. the bass side of the body has been reshaped to. when compared to an original grabber the top contour is way too close to the pickguard. this is either a really ugly design that didn't go over too well or some one had some fun in woodworking class.

11. [​IMG]

1975 grabber g-3

12. [​IMG]

the grabber in question. yikes.

13. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

a GRABBER G-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

FRANKENGRABBER!

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1
    Actually, when defretting a bass, if you don't care about looks, and don't wanna spend big bux on having fret line inlays done RIGHT, this is great way to go fretless on the cheap without ruining the neck, as the neck compression characteristics are maintained, so it doesn't get all wierd on you after a few months. VERY stable results. The only downside is obviously the fret tangs wear slower than the board, so after a while you'll need to "replane" depending on what kinda' strings you use and how hard you dig in.

side note: whomever played this one obviously REALLY played the hell out of it with rounds. don't think I've ever seen a board worn that much.

16. NOT a good way to convert to fretless, because it IS too difficult to maintain the board. Try and remove the frets after this...FORGET IT!

As far as the wear...it doesn't look all that bad considering its a maple board. Most of the marks are just stains.

But no...this is NOT a good way to go fretless.

As far as the seller commenting "well worn frets"...obviously a seller who doesn't know what he's selling...I'd stay clear.

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, you make a great point. I was thinking strictly mechanics... not maintenance.

Also, FYI, I had a guy defret a bass for me once a long time ago, and he did a great clean job of removing the frets and filling the slots, but after about 6mo to a year, the neck got all wierd on me, and I had to dump the bass for what I could get out of it. He told me it was because there was no way he could put anything in the fret slots that would mechanically replace the fret tangs.

Ok, you make two great points... :)

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    what a terrible hatchet job!! What was somebody thinking?!?!!?!?!??!

19. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    i think this was listed a few months ago as well