Very surprised : G&L L1500 vs L2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamaha, Feb 10, 2009.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I had a chance to play both today, side by side. They really are pretty different tone wise. Of course, the L2000 has much more possibilities of sound, but I can't get it to sound like a L1500.

On the L2000, the neck, and neck-bridge combination sound good, especially, IMO, in passive parallel, or passive series. The bridge pick up, on it's own, just doesn't sound right to me, especially when played finger style close to the bridge. If you play closer to the neck, then its not too bad, but still I don't really like the sound of the bridge p/u on its own.

The L1500 on the other hand, even though its quite aggressive, sounds much better, IMO, than the L2000 with the Bridge pick up. I know the L1500's P/U is farther from the bridge than the 2000's. I wonder how a 1500, with an added neck P/U would sound.

Also, does the 2000, in a full rock and roll band situation, cut through everything as well as a 1500?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yes, the 1500's pickup is just outside the "twang" zone, at least for the E and A strings, and just far enough from the bridge to provide serious punch in the lows.

I would love to see G&L add a neck MFD noiseless J-type pickup to the 1500 for more tonal options, sort of like the MM Sterling HS. The H/S configuration is popular these days with Laklands, MusicMan, and others, and I bet G&L could sell quite a few. As we've both noticed, the 1500 doesn't always work, and a neck J pickup could help fill the gaps. It would help if they used the L-2000 pre as well.

Somebody on TB has (or had) a 1500 modified with a neck MFD humbucker, which you might uncover in the G&L forum with a search. I think it's in the 1500/1505 appreciation thread.

3. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
  4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The L2000 can absolutely cut in any music mix. The bridge pickup being closer to the bridge on the L2K is the perfect formular to counter the bassy neck pickup. If the bridge pickup on the L2k was closer to the neck like the L1500 it may not work as well in conjunction with the neck pick up.It would kind of cover too much of the same sonic territory. I never use my L2K with bridge only. But I often use it with neck only. Never in active either. I don't even have a battery in it.

Yes it would be nice if G&L offered a single coil hum to the neck of the L1500.

5. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    I've owned a Tribute L-2500 and currently own a L-1505 and a L-2000.

The 1505 is so totally it's own dog in regards to sound that it's hard to compare. I find that most issues I have with it is trying to make it sound like something else; it just doesn't do that. You get what it is and when you try and do something other than that it's going to do nothing but aggravate you trying to get there!

The L-2000 I can get approximations of other tones, but it still retains its distinctive flair in doing them. I can get close enough to make it sound right, but it's never so much that I can't tell that it's the L-2000 trying to sound like something else.

I never use the preamp in my L-1505. I just find the sound to be unusable to me. I know there are mods for it, I just haven't gotten around to tweaking with them yet.

6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)

8. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    The neck pickup on the L2000 is very similar tonally to a jazz bass bridge pickup soloed.

One thing I find is that my typical eq and volume settings for the L2000 with both pickups doesn't work very well when switched to bridge pup because I dial back the bass and volume some since it's so slamming with both pickups on. When I use bridge pup only I have to add a bit more volume, bass, and cut back the treble a little. That way I get a very middy focused tone especially when plucking directly over the bridge pup. I use that when I want to play fast staccato 16th lines ala Rocco or Jaco.

I believe the L1500 pickup position is the same as a Stingray so as others have said, the L2000 can't cop the sound of the L1500 and vice versa.

9. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006

10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Looking at the schematics, it seems the L1500 has a different preamp. At least the pin out for signal input and output are on different pins than the L2k.

11. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006
    An L1500 is just too much,more than you will ever need...and I loved mine when I had it:)

12. simple solution:

i have an awesome L-2000 that has the single coil mod. the factory had it set up with the outside coils being selected when in single coil mode. i had it switched to the inside coils.

with both inside coils selected, it's like wider pickup in the L-1500 position.

so i can do the bottom pounding neck pickup thing, the jazzy burpy bridge pickup thing, or the growly rip your face off plenty of bottom and just enough top middle coil thing.

funny thing... for the time being, bass gas is gone. i spend my time looking at amps...

13. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Hahaha...ok...I've owned both. I 'd say that is pretty accurate .:D

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021