1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Very twangy G and D String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RandalPinkFloyd, Aug 1, 2012.

1. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Just got a brand new Spector Legend Classic 4. Took it out of the box, changed the battery in case this one had been sitting awhile (put a new one in). I initially left the settings on my practice amp alone (Treble was at noon, mid's at about 10 10 or 11'oclock, bass at about 3 or 4 o'clock), tuned it and then went to play. I'm running an AMPEG ba-112. Double checked tuning, and went to play and I noticed that my open D was pretty twangy and my G string was very twangy. I tried recording it but it doesn't catch how twangy it is as I don't have any good recording equipment yet.
    I mean it almost sounds like a banjo or something on the open G. That bad. I turned and tested every dad blame possible on the amp and bass for 2 hours but can't get the twang gone without compromising the sound almost completely. I mean, i've crawled through some of the different settings slowly and tirelessly and I'm getting frustrated. The only way to get rid of the twang completely is to completely cutout mid's on amp and bass, crank the bass to 11 and at this point, you have to crank the gain so much to hear the D or G strings, meanwhile playing anything on the E rattles china in every house on this street.

Oddly enough, I can get the perfect sound I want out of E and A and even some spots on the D string around from frets 7-15 with this problem, but open D to 6, Open G or any fret use from 1 to 6 or 7 or whatever on G is too twangy.

Could it be a bad string? Truss rod maybe? Everything looks fine but this is only my 3rd bass so I'm not exactly an expert. Just a guy playing for hours every day for the past few months. :help:

2. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    What brand and type of strings are these? Rounds? Flats? Ernie Ball? Rotosound? o_O

3. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Not sure, I can't seem to find any documentation on what comes on these stock. The manual doesn't say.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    A bad string would sound dead rather than twangy. truss rod would affect the action and possibly lead to buzzing, but unlikely to cause 'twanginess'.

I'd suggest you just don't like the strings, with the D and G maybe being thinner than you're used to. The simplest solution is to get new strings. As this isn't your first bass, start with what you've played happily in the past.

5. Maybe try raising the pickups on the G side?

My P Bass with flats had a very twangy G string, which was very different from every string in comparison. I actually brought the pickup closer to the G string and found that it helped beef it up. That doesn''t work, try new strings.

6. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Thanks guys. I'll try raising the action and then thicker strings to see if that does the trick.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    You will actually want thinner D and G-strings rather than thicker if you want a bassier tone as they will produce more of the fundamental. You can see this effect for yourself - detune your G-string down to D and play it along side your D-string. The G-string should sound much beefier.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Also check to see if the bridge pup on that side is closer to the strings then the neck pup on that side. With the low e string side of the pups better balanced between each other for sound. Could be pup adjustment is needed.

9. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    After no luck with raising or lowering each side of the pickups, I picked up some Power Slinky's and swapped out the G. Just changing the G resolved the issue. I may go ahead and swap out the D now since the G sounds so much better at 055 than it did at 045. D still gets twangy, so going to play around and possibly switch that one out as well before tomorrows jam session with the group.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Is the twangy sound when open strings only?

11. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    mostly open, but it was too twangy on the first few frets as well.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Generally Open G and open D are twangy on all basses... This is why "some" instructional books suggest not to play open G and D... This especially comes out if the instrument has metal nuts in some cases more than others... Zero fret instruments tend to not sound as twangy though but there still is a tone difference between open strings and non.

Keep in mind also every instrument has its own tone characteristics as well as all basses in general!

Generally on all of my basses I don't play much in the first 3 frets on the D G (C) strings... It simply sounds thinner... This is on my Boutique Basses and New / Vintage Fenders as well.

Just something to keep in mind...

13. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Since i'm still learning to read music, I haven't gotten good enough or comfortable enough to move down and play the first few notes of G on D, or D on A, but I do see that most of the sheet music for Rock that I have, has those notes played pretty far down on G and D when they are played on those strings. With the exception of some of the Beatles stuff I have.
    I'm at the end of Book 1 Hal Leonards Bass Method and I periodically pickup book 2, but i'm still trying to master the first 4 frets before moving down. Trying not to fall into the trap that I did when I played guitar.
    But I do look foward to when I can see "A" and instead of thinking 2nd fret of G, think 7th fret on D. I continue to memorize the fret board but I still find myself pausing after the first 4 frets. I appreciate the advice though.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    It all comes with experience.

There is nothing "Wrong" with playing on the first 4 frets... There is just that tonal difference...

What you should be doing when going through the book though, is do the same exercises on the first 4 frets, and then do the same exercise further up the fingerboard, even an octave higher and octave lower if possible! You will encounter sheet music that says 8va (octave higher etc...)

Props for wanting to learn how to read! It is VERY important as a bassist! I have landed many gigs just because my reading chops are up!

15. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Good idea, thanks for the input!

16. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Playing in "first position" (those first four frets) is sometimes also referred to as "the money position" by some bassists...

Try to learn everything in at least three different areas on the neck.

Q to the OP. Is that bass active? Are you getting that twang when you plug in straight to the amp, or do you have some effects before? If active, are you plugging into the active or passive amp jack? Or, are you 100% completely sure that you are not overloading any input buffer on your amp or any effect you have in your signal chain.

I started having similar problems when I added a preamp to my Jazz earlier this year. It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to have the preamp level boosted all the way, that when it comes to EQing, less is more, and that "small adjustments" can go a long way.

Another lesson I learned (and I'm still learning) is to trust my ears.... not the way the knobs/sliders should be. Doing this has led me to better results.

It is also true that every instrument has its own way that it wants to be touched. Took me a while to learn to control my dynamics when touching that B string. And how I approach that G string, in terms of dynamics, attack, plucking position (neck, sweet spot, bridge, etc) makes a big difference in getting a good sound or making it sound like a little roach on steroids.

Good luck to ya, and have fun!

17. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Granted this is just a theory I have (so most likely is total crap) but I have over ten basses now and have bought and sold more than I could remember. It’s been my experience that my Warwicks like my Thumbs and all of my Spectors (all my Spectors are all Euro neck through) have dense thick bodies and necks too for that matter. Many of my boutique basses are the same way as well. They seem to almost absorb some of the tone of the strings especially the D and the G because they almost sound a little like a banjo. My 2 cents…

I have spent hundreds on basses changing pickups and preamps and strings and they have all had some slight change to the tone but many times it wasn’t worth it as much as I thought it might change things. It’s only like changing tires on a car. It’s the same car but might handle slightly different and then maybe better maybe not. Thicker strings seem to help a little and are much cheaper...A good compressor does wonders too and that’s another suggestion.