Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

very underrated bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Starrchild, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    raphel saadiq you know the skinny guy who use to sing lead for tony toni tone but played bass in the studio and sometimes onstage is BAD as funk.listen to his work with d'angelo and his group lucy pearl.solid playing,solid player.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so underated that no one replied?

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Steffan from dave mathews band

4. Raphel Saadiq is definitely a groovemaster!

5. An underated bassist in an underated band: Todd Smallie w/The Derek Trucks Band. I saw this band when they came through L.A. on their current tour with Eric Johnson. Smallie is a great player who shifts effortlessly between blues, rock, jazz and funk. He's a very inventive soloist who tore through some killer complicated jazz changes then picked the groove right back up once he blew through his choruses. Check him (and them) out.

6. If you can remember the 80s and early MTV there was this band called The Producers and they had a couple of videos. Great powerpop band that never got the deserved recognition.

The bassist: Kyle Henderson

This guy to me is the best underappreciated bassist out there IMO. The band´s LPs were out of print until last year. Go to the store and see if they have (and if you can sound test) The Producers-You Make The Heat 2 in 1 CD. Just test for yourself.
    (Note: This is NOT a promo nor am I affiliated with the band...just informing y'all!)

You are gonna find this guy is energy defined. I can't really describe it but trust me, this Kyle is special!

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Andy Rourke of The Smiths.
    Norman Cook of the Housemartins.

Will C.:cool:

8. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    PERCY JONES!!!!
    and
    Stefan from Dave Mathews
    Stuart from Jamiroquai

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My vote goes to Benny Rietveld...(forgive the possible misspelling) He's been around for a very long time, and Ive only heard of him since the Santana cd. Hes a great player and doesnt get enough recognition.

10. If you guys want to hear a smooth, funky bassist, you have to check out Rodney "Skeet" Curtis. He is the current bassist for Maceo Parker. And was the former bassist for George Clinton and The P/Funk Allstars. The boy is BADD!!

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Raphael Saddiq is a groovey bass player that some will not be aware of (he was in a recent issue of bass player) , but there are lots of underated bass players out there.

12. Stuart Zender and the dude from 'No doubt'

theyre well underrated

- Russ

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    The dude from No doubt is the excellent Tony Kanal.

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Andy Rourke - very creative and a big influence on me.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Raphael is pretty amazing. He has the 70's Funk and Soul vibe down better than most people who played it back then. One of my favorites as is the band of "Tonies".

16. AKA Fatboy Slim

17. Dude! You stole my thunder on that one. I totally agree

18. Debiolator

Debiolator

Aug 20, 2000
    Niceville, Fl
    Bootsy Collins!! He may or may not be underated, I just know I'm one
    of the few people in my are who likes him or even knows who he is.
    But then again, I do live in the middle of nowhere.

Bootzilla's Here!

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, Juan Nelson of Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals finally got some minor props - a full page D'Addario ad in the latest Bass Player.

Randy-Hope Taylor, with Jeff Beck and with Incognito is very good but doesn't get much attention. He's not real upfront, just lays down what's needed and leaves out what's not.

Mars Cowling - hard to get noticed with Pat Travers around, but easy to notice for a bassist. He sneaked in stuff I wouldn't have thought of.

Kenny Aaronson was/is a perfect rock bassist. Haven't seen or heard him in a long time.

John Myung of Dream Theater - maybe because he isn't exactly Mr. Personable, from what I hear.

In the jazz world, Oscar Pettiford and Wilbur Ware who played with Thelonius Monk.