Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

very urgent impedace question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott D, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, i just found an amazing deal on a carvin 1x15, 100 dollars. i have an ampeg svt-3 pro head, and an 8 ohm 4x10, the thing is that the 15 is a 4 ohm, is there anyway i can mix? i belive that it comes to 5.33 ohms. the owner will be there in about 20 minuites, and i have to get back before he does. please respond urgently!

2. Urgently?

The SVT3 pro is rated to handle between 4 & 8 ohms (or more), N/A for 2 ohms.

An 8 ohm and a 4 ohm parallel? (without doing the math, which is probably on Joris' amp FAQ section) It won't be a 5.33 ohm load, it will be closer to 3 ohms. Don't think your SVT3 would like that.:meh:

HTH

-b

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    2.666 ohms, and the 15 will get more power than the 410 will. Depending on sensitivity ratings, the 15 will likely give more volume than the 410.

Be sure to check whether your amp can handle a load below 4 ohms . . .

4. Then again, if it is a smokin deal, maybe you could sell the 4 ohm 15" driver and buy an 8 ohm 15" driver for your new cabinet... then your SVT3 with the 410 and 115 would see 4 ohms and be a happy camper.... :confused:

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    thanks for the quick replies guys. aargh i hate ohms! i had the recipt printing, when i looked at the back panel (500 W @ 4 ohms) and my heart dropped. i was soo pissed! so i went to music go round and got a killer peavey 1x15 on a trade for my old head and my ibanez. all i can say is whoa! Adding a 15 to a 4x10 is like "instant balls". i'm so impressed with it all. at 4 ohms, i will never need another amp (unless it breaks, of course) but this Ampeg is amazingly loud. @ 8 ohms, i would have jamming volume set for gain at 12 oclcok and master at 12. now its gain at 12, master at 9. this thing is hella-loud! i don't see how you guys can have like 3kW amps(well, it makes sense if you have high powered cabs... which most of you do... hmm...)

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hehehe....I tried a setup like you describe with my Hartke3500 back in the day. It worked alright, for about five minutes. Then the amp got so hot, I could feel it when I stood by it. Sounded decent, but not what I expected.

These guys at TB are great. They have saved me a few bucks recently as well. Those extra few bucks are going to go to my membership here, when I get around to it.

-Mike