Very very new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Hey guys, before I go on with the questions. Let me tell you about myself.
    I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and have dabbled with the violin. Now I am very interested in the Bass guitar. I want to start up playing blues, jazz, and rock with it.
    Now I want to know what is a good, inexpensive bass for a beginner that would be good in those areas? I prefer a rosewood fretboard on my guitars, so I assume I'd like it on a bass as well. and looks does kinda matter. I love LOVE the look of the Fender Precision basses. The classic bass look. 4 string. So yea, Also, a good practice amp. I'm assuming it's similar to the guitar and would be around 10w-15w for a home practice beginner amp.
  2. Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    If you have the money, I'd suggest the P-Bass since it seems to be what you're leaning towards anyway. As for the amp, Crate makes a pretty good 15w.
  3. Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
  4. Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    It seems around here that anything less than 1000watts is a practice amp.

Seriously though, for just practicing by yourself any amount of wattage will do. Just grab something cheap and there you go.
  5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Hey guys. I just bought my first bass.. A squier P-bass. I know squiers are cheap, but my local shop was having a killer deal. THe bass, strap, Rumble 15 amp, video,cords,and gig bag for about $180.. so I got it and am psyched. I'm gonna watch the video after work tonight, and start my lessons ($80 a month for 4 30 minutes sessions) how about that? I am so psyched! :hyper:
  6. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Congrats! One thing I might recommend is to invest in a good setup. At least then you'll be starting on level ground. There's nothing more frustrating than learning on a bass you have to fight.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Scan the "Essex Megathread" that's in this section for in-depth detail on what most people on this board agree is an insane deal on an entry-level bass. You can get a good P-bass type from them for about $150 delivered, and they have a great return policy. It sounds VERY good for its size.

For an amp, I'd look at the Fender Bassman series. I got a Fender Bassman 25 for $149 delivered from and it has a headphone output (nice for practicing).

Another thing I have which is VERY nice is a Tascam Bass Trainer. Pop in a CD and some headphones, and you can easily break down any bass part and learn it. Great for practicing and learning the bass parts to songs. Runs around $150, but you really need to get the AC adapter, unless you love buying AA batteries in huge quantities. :D
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Congrats on the bass and amp. Welcome to the lowend. :bassist:
  9. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Hey guys Thanks for the kind words :) but now I have another question. A buddy of mine has a 1960s Fender Precision Bass, Sunburst, with the original Fender hardshell case. Any idea on how much it would be worth? Just a ballpark.