Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very very new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys, before I go on with the questions. Let me tell you about myself.
    I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and have dabbled with the violin. Now I am very interested in the Bass guitar. I want to start up playing blues, jazz, and rock with it.
    Now I want to know what is a good, inexpensive bass for a beginner that would be good in those areas? I prefer a rosewood fretboard on my guitars, so I assume I'd like it on a bass as well. and looks does kinda matter. I love LOVE the look of the Fender Precision basses. The classic bass look. 4 string. So yea, Also, a good practice amp. I'm assuming it's similar to the guitar and would be around 10w-15w for a home practice beginner amp.

2. Andy3825

Andy3825

Jul 31, 2005
    Meriden, CT
    If you have the money, I'd suggest the P-Bass since it seems to be what you're leaning towards anyway. As for the amp, Crate makes a pretty good 15w.

3. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
  4. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    It seems around here that anything less than 1000watts is a practice amp.

Seriously though, for just practicing by yourself any amount of wattage will do. Just grab something cheap and there you go.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys. I just bought my first bass.. A squier P-bass. I know squiers are cheap, but my local shop was having a killer deal. THe bass, strap, Rumble 15 amp, video,cords,and gig bag for about $180.. so I got it and am psyched. I'm gonna watch the video after work tonight, and start my lessons ($80 a month for 4 30 minutes sessions) how about that? I am so psyched! :hyper:

6. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Congrats! One thing I might recommend is to invest in a good setup. At least then you'll be starting on level ground. There's nothing more frustrating than learning on a bass you have to fight.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. Scan the "Essex Megathread" that's in this section for in-depth detail on what most people on this board agree is an insane deal on an entry-level bass. You can get a good P-bass type from them for about $150 delivered, and they have a great return policy. It sounds VERY good for its size.

For an amp, I'd look at the Fender Bassman series. I got a Fender Bassman 25 for $149 delivered from MusiciansFriend.com and it has a headphone output (nice for practicing).

Another thing I have which is VERY nice is a Tascam Bass Trainer. Pop in a CD and some headphones, and you can easily break down any bass part and learn it. Great for practicing and learning the bass parts to songs. Runs around $150, but you really need to get the AC adapter, unless you love buying AA batteries in huge quantities. :D

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Congrats on the bass and amp. Welcome to the lowend. :bassist:

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey guys Thanks for the kind words :) but now I have another question. A buddy of mine has a 1960s Fender Precision Bass, Sunburst, with the original Fender hardshell case. Any idea on how much it would be worth? Just a ballpark.