1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very very smooth bass distortion/overdrive/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey guys,

I've searched around through threads here, and I just haven't quite found whatever it is I'm looking for. Basically, I'm thinking about downsizing my Pod XT Live and getting individual pedals, because as far as I can tell, I really only need two pedals. First I'm thinking about the EH Memory Man with Hazarai for looping and delay. Maybe a Zvex Ringtone. But also, I want something to dirty up my sound.

So I basically want the distortion I use for my guitar on my bass. The problem is of course, that those pedals lose low end. So what can I do? I really want to be able to hear the bass, but still have quite a bit of distortion with it. I like it smooth and creamy, like what you get with a Bad Monkey. Am I crazy to think that such a pedal exists? Or am I just not getting the right soundclips?

Any and all help is appreciated!

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I like my Tonebender, it can be smooth or harsh. I'll make clips tomorrow for you. It's a little big but it sounds so awesome so i'm gonna make a mini clone of it.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I know the Bad Monkey can be modded for better bass response.

4. Humphrey mod?

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Well, if you can find a smooth-sounding distortion you like, then the low end part is easy to fix with a blend loop pedal.

You can blend your clean bass with your distortion that way. :)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Not sure, I just read some threads on Harmony Central's bass forum

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

8. jony

jony

May 11, 2007
    The Bad Monkey doesn't make me lose bottom end response... I'm quite happy with it.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The standard one has enough bass as it is, but the Humphrey one supposedly increases the bass response. I have one and use it all the time.

10. I'm in love with my Hao Rust Ride. It's got some of the fattest low end on it of any overdrive I've ever tried. Check the link for sound samples. . .

Hao Rust Ride

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    That sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Can you give me some examples?

And thanks for all the other help guys. I do actually own a Bad Monkey, I just can't remember off the top of my head if it had good bass response. I'd give it a try but I kind of need a bass...

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It sounds AWESOME btw. I own one. :hyper:

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You mean, of the blend loop pedal?

Barge Concepts VB-Jr.
    Barge Concepts VFB-2
    Barge Concepts VFB-X
    Moosapotamous Bass Paralooper
    Radial BigShot MIX
    Boss LS-2 Line Selector
    Xotic Effects X-Blender

All of these work a bit differently; some have some pretty cool features, and others are more straightforward. In all cases, you place your desired pedals in the Send/Return loop of the blend pedal, and adjust as needed to get your desired wet/dry mix. :)

Just search for any of the pedals I listed above to find an army of threads about them.

I just noticed that Moosapotamous has soundclips of his Paralooper in action on the website:

http://moosapotamus.net/THINGS/paraloop.htm

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    By the way, Barge are now doing a VB-Jr with phase reverse switch and an expression pedal input, I'm gonna get one for use with my distortion pedals...

15. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh man Mystic, I think that's exactly what I need! Well, that and a pedal of my choice, but that'll really help me with what I want to hear!

Question though: Would the effects loop on my bass head do the same thing, or at least something similar to it?

And I'm still waiting for clips of that Toneblender!

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Oh yeah my bad, lemme make it now

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  18. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh wow. That Tonebender doesn't sound too bad! Although like I said, a blend pedal is probably my answer, but I'm gonna look into one of these. Who makes it?

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Colorsound in the UK makes it. You can get them for 250$ on musictoyz. Or you can build a clone for much cheaper :]

20. fruit&herb man

fruit&herb man

Dec 15, 2006
    norway
    Hi, i need a clean blend for my dirtpedals, and the LS-2 looks like a cheap solutin. But in which setting do i put it? I did a search and read the owners manual. Maybe its to ealy in the morning...