1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Very very very small bass amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TerenceSharp, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I own a roland Micro cube Bass-RX. And don't get me wrong, that thing is SMALL and impressive, it even fits in my college bag - But is ther anything smaller?

I am looking for something that I can put in my bag and forget it's there. Must battery powered.

The ride to the college is a Boring 45 Mins long, and we all have electric instruments, Playing them acousticly FAILS bad - I'm limited to slap bass and teh others have to play rediculously hard :crying:

Does such a thing exist or is this a job for the soldering iron and some electronics hacking?

2. Smaller? Er... sure - it just won't sound very good. You can get a Lil' Smokey amp the size of a cigarette pack, but there's very little clean headroom on those. (I own one though, and it's pretty fun - will power a speaker cabinet if you want it to! More suited for guitar though.)

45 minutes isn't a very long drive. 8 hours I could see. Or 2 days. But 45 minutes? That's like my commute to work. Get an ipod or a book! ;)

3. Get a BASSACE and headphones.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Phil Jones Briefcase. Battery power will work great.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    A small battery powered mixer so you can all plug in, and multiple headphones so you can all hear.

6. This could work.

7. I was gonna say get a pignose or a bassace

im not sure a battery powered mixer would last very long powering 2 or 3 insturments and equal amount of headphones.

pignose + car charger = <3 for on the road jamming

8. Those Pignose amps look pretty interesting!

9. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    +1

10. They're awesome. Although the little guy is made for guitar, it sounds great with a bass at speaking volume. and it can get pretty angry sounding. I havent tried it with a 5 string, lowest I've played is a dropped D and it's a bit scratchy but it doesnt quit.

Can't say enough about mah piggy.

11. pendergasta

pendergasta .- .- .-. --- -. / .--. . -. -.. . .-. --. .- ...

Jan 7, 2008
    North Carolina
    You could run all the instruments in to a little $30 mini mixer, run that into any mini-amp with a headphone out, and then run the headphone out into the car stereo's auxiliary input. Then you could jam through the car stereo! You already have a sound system there waiting, you just have to figure out a way to tap into it.

If the car doesn't have an aux input, you could even go so far as running the headphone output of the amp into an FM modulator to get it to go through the car's stereo system.

Sounds like a project I would get into... The more I talk about this, the more I'm thinking I'll have to try this myself....:bassist:

A

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    This is not the smallest amp, but definitely inexpensive - I would recommend the Crate Taxi. I got one for like $150 new at Guitar Center. I've had mine for 4+ years and I still play out of it at home, camping, fishing, hotels, touring, etc. My bandmates beg me to bring it whenever we tour too, great for warming up or jamming in the van on the road (we used to have a van that had no radio LOL).

It has an internal battery that lasts FOREVER - like 8 hours on a full charge and only takes another 6 hours to fully charge from dead. 2 input jacks! Decent EQ options - the 8" speaker doesn't leave too much for the low end, but what do you expect?

Sits about 15" high and it's sort of triangular so you have a few options - using it as a floor monitor, or you can even sit on it like a small stool if you put it upright. It has a handle, but I'm thinking of drilling a couple screws into the base so I can fashion a shoulder strap for it.

Anyways, the Crate Taxi gets my vote for an inexpensive portable battery amp.

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/CrateTX15.html
    (here's a link for specs, but I'm sure you could find one a little cheaper than this place)

13. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    unless I mis-read what you are asking about, you could look for a product made by Pocket Rock-It. Little battery powered amp the size of a pack of cards with a basic EQ and simple pre-sets. It has a built in 1/4 inch plug on a swivel so it plugs right into your bass (there are guitar models too). They also have min-jack alt input, so you can have a guitar plug into it too. If you use a Y out, you can have 2 users listen at the same time on headphones.

Mine are a few years old, and I'm not sure if they even make them anymore, but they sound ok (if your bass sounds ok) and work pretty good for silent practice. You can also plug a CD or MP3 player into the alt input and use it as a tool to practice with tracks with the bass lines subtracted or other pre-recorded tunes.

Not sure if this will help you, but there you go.

good luck

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    also seemed to remember seeing in a MF catalog, an amp the size of a pack of smokes, with a tiny speaker that also might work. Probably sound like crap for bass though.

15. I am really hoping that is his daily commute to school, and not just a one time thing :)

I am also wondering what kind of vehicle he has to hold a full band practice in it.. they must have some short scale instruments :bassist:

16. Rossman59

Rossman59

Apr 23, 2007
    Evanston, IL.
    Sounds like they're trying to cop the same gig as the free credit report dot com band jamming in an old Chevy Metro.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    LOL - I was thinking that too...a 45 minute commute in a school bus, or what?

18. Same journey twice a day to and from college for two/three years :)

We are on a music course and they put on a full coach on for us for people transferring from Darlington.
    Funilly, Us 5 are the only ones on this coach that's meant to haul like 48 People... And the Back seats are very open and awesome for jamming :hyper:
    It's like having our very own tour bus :D

We also want something we can just plug into when we are bored during breaks because the jamming rooms at college just get taken over by really-crappy death metal bands of doom :ninja: - Can you say "Encore starter packs" "Pick" "Treble on max" "Drop C" in succession without fainting?

I'm gonna give a DIY Setup a try and if that fails I'll either just get a pignose for a laugh or bare carrying my roland Bass-RX around, even though it weighs a ton.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Sounds like you have room for something a little bigger than a Pignose...

20. Well Yes, But It's also the fact I have to keep my bag with me, weight is up concern :D

http://www.roland.co.uk/guitar_room_catspec.asp?ID=MOBILECUBE

This looks like it might be what I want, I have no idea how it'd sound with a bass though D: