Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In case some of you may not be aware, tomorrow, Thursday, is Veterans' Day.

In all sincerity, you really should at least keep in mind why this day was set aside. If you have the chance, go out to the parade. Most of the WWI guys are gone, and a lot of the WWII guys aren't going to be around soon as well.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's true, with recent events and all (no matter how you look at them) it's a good thing to show appreciation and respect for the men and women of armed forces.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    We just had our 1 minutes silence at 11:00am on 11 November for all those who have died in wars.

4. I have a ton of respect for veterans. My great grandfather was a marine in WWI, he was captured and tortured in an attempt to get information. He refused to speak and was butchered in an extrememly gruesome way. His groin was chopped off, he left foot was shot with nails, and his eyes were ripped out before he finally died. Or so thats what they told my family when they found his remains. To be a soldier , and know that something similliar could happen to you, yet still fight is an honorable thing to do . I have the utmost respect for those guys.
  5. ok my dad and my grandpa was a veteran. But it doesnt make sence, why should we honor murderers?

6. Because , if it wasnt for those "Murderers" you wouldnt be sitting snug in your home in indiana, you most likely wouldnt exist. Those "Murderers" died to guarantee that you would be free. If you dont like freedom, then i suggest you go somewhere else.

7. Because otherwise they would of been murdered and you wouldn't exist.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  9. :scowl: :rollno:
  10. I
    I cannot concieve what on earth would make you say that. I seriously don't understand that. For every thing that you do in your life, someone has made it possible for you. To not acknowlege the basic freedoms being an American citizen carries with it is inexcusable. Completely and utterly inexcusable. I think mutantbassist is pretty young, but I think I remember him saying something about remembering communist rule in Hungary. I don't think he would be so casual about the rights and liberties he enjoys now.

Whether or not you, in your 15 year old mind, agree with with the reasons the American soldier has been deployed, fought and died; the point is they did it for America. That means you, that means me.

I joined the Army to help fight the Russians, it sounds corny now, but it was a real, credible threat back then. I ended up fighting in both Panama and the Gulf War. I don't know if I killed anyone. I honestly don't know. Am I a "murderer?" I'm an annual member of the American Legion and a life member of the VFW and 82nd Airborne Division Association. For the past 11 years I've worked for the Department of Veterans Affairs. For ANYONE to call the American Fighing Man a 'murderer' is ****ing insulting and ridiculous. I see heroes every day, and that's not a term to be tossed around lightly. I've seen guys I've read about. I know a guy that was in two units I was in- 30 years before I was born (he even lived in the same barracks- crazy). I've seen guys in my platoon on documentaries, I've seen my units in documentaries.

There's a myriad of reasons why people join the military. When I went in, there was a real fear of the Soviet Union. It's funny, when the Berlin Wall fell, and Tiannemen Square went down, I was too busy doing "real world" stuff, I didn't know about it until afterwards. Nowadays, people join the military to fight "terrorists," as well as a host of other reasons. For whatever reason that person joins, if they fulfil their duty, whether it conflicts with their personal ideals or not, that person serves the American people, and the American people SHOULD respect and appreciate that.
  11. I'll be at a parade tomorrow in uniform. There have been some really moving commercials on TV lately... seems like a nice change.
  12. Ignorance like this is a good example of why teaching history in school is very important.

"Lest we forget"

BTW, do people wear poppies in the USA, or is that just a Canadian thing? It is also called "Remembrance Day" here.
  13. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Man he is getting eaten alive! DAMN! Yet I have no idea why he would say such a thing :confused:

I will honor the veterans that fought for this country today, and everyday, because they deserve to be remembered for what they have done for this country.
  14. CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    I don't know, maybe you should ask them? I'm sure they would greatly appreciate being referred to as murderers by the very people they fought to ensure freedom for. I hope you choke.
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    [With grace]

Why dont you ask them? Tell them that you would like to understand why they went to war, and what they did while they served. Ask them who the enemy was and why they were considered an enemy. Then come back to us and tell us what you found out.

[/end grace]

Tomorrow Im calling my grandfather to thank him for going off to war in the Pacific durring WWII to stop the Japanese expansion into the Pacific. Im going to call his two brothers to thank them for stopping the Nazi armies from spreading across more of Europe and helping to end the Hollocaust.

Im also going to call up my best friend and talk to him and thank him for the sacrifice he made. Hopefully he'll never go into active duty durring a war.
  16. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    RIP. armistice day today.
  17. I served in iraq for a total of 18 months. I've been shot at, and I've returned fire. I've seen my friends killed. I've seen things happen to people that no one should ever have to experience. I killed men over there. Does that make me a murderer? perhaps it does. But myself and my friends put our lives on the line every day for kids like yourself. my friends died so that you and your friends dont have to. do you remember the world trade center? how about the pentagon? or maybe the plane that crashed in pennsylvania? i guess that's cool with you. maybe you didnt know anyone that was killed in those attacks. if that is the case, then i envy you.
    semper fi.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thank you for your sacrifice.
  19. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Quite, without a doubt...the stupidest post i've seen yet.

To all those who have served, are currently serving, or plan to deepest respect and thanks to you.
    Because of you is why we have so much. We should be considered a disgraceful bunch to take for granted such patriotism and bravery.
  20. Thank you for your support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.