Vetrinarians And Vetrinary Assistants

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Hi All!

One of my cats, Zen, has fallen deeply ill. She's somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 or so years and she's not been in the best of health for the past 2 years. Right now her lungs keep filling up with fluid, and she has a very hard time breathing. She's in an oxygen chamber and they've been tapping her lungs to remove as much fluid as they can.

Last year I had posted something in grief after our 16 year old cat had to be put down. I said the staff of vetrinary clinics are cold and "don't care." A forum member who was a vet or something said they do care, and I both privately apolgized and publicly apologized on the forum. I knew the staff there gave Cleo the best care they could, I just was in grief after losing a good kitten friend.

Tonight I went to visit Zen in the vet hospital, and got to go in back where the staff takes care of all the animals, the back behind the "staff only" doors. I knew the staff cared for the ill and injured animals, but I was amazed at how well all of them treated all the animals, and just how much they all seemed to care- not just when the owners are watching. I guess I get nervous when they take your friend in back, and who knows what they're doing to the poor animals that can't tell you the person taking care of them was mean or hurtful to them. I don't have that kind of reservation anymore.

If you or anyone you know is a vet or an assistant, thank you for caring, really caring, for our friends.
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I agree. When we had to get our rabbit put down one of the staffers even shed a tear. We'd had her for 13 years, which pretty much takes us back to my first memories.
  3. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Excellent thread! People who devote their lives to help our little non-human friends deserve special recognition. I have a dog, two cats, twenty-two Canaries and ten assorted finches, so I am dealing with the vet fairly often. They really do care and it is nice to see that someone actually noticed and shared it with the world. Thanks for that. I hope your cat gets well soon.
  4. My wife & I take in animals(usually cats)that no one else would likely want, & often they don't last real long. I've had 2 dogs & 2 cats put down in the past 3 or 4 years & found the staff of our vet's office very compassionate & caring. I could never do what these people do, & my hat's very much off to all those who care for our animal friends.
  5. I talked to the Doctor a little while ago and he said it might be a good idea to try taking her home. :)