1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vexation with an AF-9 filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Lurker, Mar 19, 2009.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm really trying to like this pedal, but lately it's been vexing me. I bought it because the sound was supposed to be pretty close to a Mu-Tron III. It does the nasal BWAPPP thing pretty well, but for whatever reason, regardless of what settings I have it on and how hard I play, it always seems to want to act as a low-pass filter first, and it's like one has to shove it to get it to do the Bootsy thing. :eyebrow:

Right now I have it at sensitivity 10, peak about 8, bandpass mode, drive up, low range. This works for BWAPPP but it seems to be erratic, and very sensitive to minor changes in the strength of the incoming signal.

If I have the sensitivity at anything less than 10, I either get dub or no effect.

Has anyone else run into the same sort of issues?:help:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I found it was very sensitive to the changes in the incoming signal level, irrespective of the "sensitivity" knob. Try boosting your signal a bit first.

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Sens - 4
    Peak - 8
    Filter - LP
    Drive - Up
    Range - Low

That's how I had mine set when I had it, and it was Bootsytastic.

What bass are you using? Try the settings I gave you and if it isn't triggering, adjust the Sens to suit your bass.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Don't forget that there are trim pots inside the casing (just remove the battery clip...you don't have to remove the whole casing) that you can use to adjust the level at input as well as the sensitivity of the sliders. I didn't like my AF-9 at first until I started messing with the trim pots...boom...instant Rubber Band Funk!

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hmmm, trimpots.... may have to try those if nothing else works.

I've had the same problem with most of my basses-- active ATK, passive T40, passive jazz.