1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vextron Mastotron Clips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by perk45, May 1, 2009.

1. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    Hey guys, I just recorded a couple clips with my new Mastotron. I think I might've recorded them with the volume too low though, so let me know if ya'll can't hear them and need em recorded again. These were recorded with my Ibanez SR900 active bass through my Nemesis's DI through my M-Audio FastTrack interface.

Clean Bass (Pickup knob rolled all the way towards the neck) - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7565179

Fat Fuzz (Subs Switch - 3 Tone - 9:00 Pulse Width - Minimum Fuzz - 3:00 Relax (Impedance) - 10:00) - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7565195

Synthy Fuzz (Subs Switch - 3 Tone - 3:00 Pulse Width - 3:00 Fuzz - Maximum Relax (Impedance) - 10:00) - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7565198

Let me know if ya'll want clips with different settings too. Enjoy!

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Volume was way too low. I had to crank my speakers to even hear it. You may want to redo it. Sounds pretty cool though.

3. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    that fuzz was pretty damn synthy.. have you tried it with a filter and/or octaver?

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    it's hard to hear the fuzz on the fat fuzz clip

5. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Agreed. I need more info on this thing. I love/need gated fuzz but a) I will not part with my active jazz just to be able to use the Mammoth, b) I don't really dig the Brown Dog that much. I like my Flying Tomato a lot when I run it in my blender. The Devi Bit Fuzz is great and everything but I never use it alone I just use it with my filter and it's tough to tame sometimes. The MessDrive is rad but too "messy" for me sometimes. The Mastotron looks so freaking versatile. If i could downsize from three to two fuzzes, I'd have room for tremolo and be a happy man. Is the mastotron essentially MXR sized if you orient it vertically?

6. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Fat bottom though! I thought both clips sounded pretty good for what they were. I need to hear some better (audio)quality clips but these did catch my ear and spark a little interest.

7. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    This is really tickling my interest. I might try to trade my micro POG, bit fuzz, or messdrive around for one. Time to become a supporting member. Today or tomorrow.

I know there a few people here who the Mastotron but I don't see much talk about it. The PW control and the input gain controls sound very very promising to me. How synthy is this beast?

8. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I've been exchanging emails with Zack from Zvex and he seems to think that the Mastotron can definitely do gated.

"Yes, that should be pretty easily done. The gating action is very
    adjustable and can be set to smoothly disappear just as the instrument
    is muted, at almost any playing level."

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Mastotron = Woolly Mammoth with Axis Face mods and selectable input cap using 2N2222 transistors.

10. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    also costs less than a mammoth, and whatever it is, it sounds good!

11. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    It's only 150! Could this be the answer to the affordable gated/synthy fuzz that works on actives and doesn't need a blend to maintain the low end?!

12. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I got Mastotron today, so here are my few impressions. First of all, it remainds my B:Assmaster. You can dial these oldschool farty tones. Malekko's voice is much more open and you can hear fuzz one top of your bassline, whereas in case of Zvex it's more like unity. Mastotron can shake speakers very hard and can be a little bit synthy, but cannot really produce these gated sounds like Wolly Mammoth. What I especially like about this pedal, is that it produces massive low end. Knobs are very interdependent, so it needs a lot of time to dial in the tone you are looking for.