1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VF-1 and FCB1010 - Doesn't work

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Erick Lam, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Hello,

I just bought these two devices and can't make them work together at all. I thought selecting patches would be straightforward as both manuals suggest but no. Nothing's happening. It's plugged correctly.

I'm completely lost!

Any thoughts or hint?

Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, I am guessing you haven't got your MIDI channels selected for both units. I used to troubleshoot MIDI hookups all day long while working sales in the keyboard room at GC, and 99.9% of the time the user did not have the MIDI channels figured out. Make sure the VF-1 is set to receive patch changes on the same channel that the switcher is set to send them.

I Googled FCB1010 and immediately found this:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010/

If I'm wrong and your MIDI channels are set up right, then you'll need to provide us with a lot more detail about what you have tried to do to solve the problem. Also, when you say "it's plugged correctly", what exactly are the connections you chose?

3. Thanks Bongo. Both manual seem to suggest it's "plug and play" for selecting patches. I'm not even trying to do anything fancy yet. It's plugged MIDI out on the FCB1010 and MIDI in on the VF-1.

The VF-1 is on channel 1. Omni mode on and device ID is 1. The FCB1010 is on channel 1 as well. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. The FCB1010 manual is a mess.

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    There's a "midi" indicator in the top left of the vf-1 that shows when its received a message. If that's not flashing when you press a pedal it means somethings wrong with the pedalboard or the cable (or the hookup - you are going out->in right!?).

For patch change the vf-1 should just work. try it with a keyboard or a simpler pedal board that just sends PC1-5 or something. Patch change setup is under the utilities/midi menu, and allows you to map changes to different patches, but that shouldn't be making any difference at this stage.

If you're hooked up properly, it's almost certainly a FCB1010 problem - those things hav a reputation for being a pain.

From my experience the VF-1 just works with patch change. However there is a gotcha which is going to bite you - reconfiguring the effects chain takes about a second!!!!!! You won't be able to change patches mid song. Instead you need to configure CC messages, so a pedal modifies an existing patch instead (for example turning an effect in the chain on or off). The FCB1010 can do this, but is overkill for my needs, so I use a traditional double pedal plugged into the jack socket on the back to turn distortion, and/or flange on or off. I've looked for a small/cheap/simple midi board that can do this but haven't found one.

Ian

5. Thanks Ian. I was wondering if something was supposed to light up next to the MIDI on the screen. Nothing happening there either.

Sh!t. That is REALLY bad. I write with effects in mind and need to change patches quickly. I should've bit the bullet and get the V-bass instead.

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    The patch change problem caused me some problems at first, but once i stopped tried to change patches mid song, but rather use the controller changes it works really well. You can control more or less any four parameters in real time, so you can dramatically modifiy the patch on the fly, just not change it.

I don't need a lot of effects (I chose the vf-1 primarily because it was half rack [wireless in other half], and has a build in tuner),so I just control it like a stomp box, but you can change the mix, delay times, even the type of effect on the fly using continuously variable (volume type pedals) controllers.

You just need to think how you use it - build a patch for the SONG (or group of songs/set), and then use midi to modify that patch, rather than setting up patches and chainging between patches.

the only real pain, is that simple midi pedal boards only send PC, not CC. You've jumped to a BIG board, that can do what you need - its just physically too big for my needs.

Ian

7. Thanks again Ian. I plugged the VF-1 to a keyboard and there was a signal so I returned the FCB and the replacement works fine. I think the old FCB had been returned before because it only had a dutch manual, the box had been opened (I figured someone tried it in store at first) and there was some cat hair stuck in one of the foam. :eyebrow:

I haven't had any issues with selecting patches. It's instantaneous. I like the combination so far. A little gem in fact.

I don't have the VF-1 manual here so if someone knows how to assign the expression pedals to volume and manual wah, it would be nice. From what I read, it looks like the wah is either on or off and the only way to turn it on/off is with one of the footswitch.

On a side note, last week, I had a problem with the FCB, a new computer, a new DVD box with no disc, another that froze mid-film and the car that broke down. :meh:

Thanks again.

8. Here u go

9. Thanks. I have it at home, only not here at work. I have all the gear so I was asking in case someone felt like explaining something. I didn't think of checking online though.

Yeah, I can play bass at work almost as much as I want. :bassist:

10. Ok, thanks again everyone. Just a last post for those with the FCB1010 who can't figure out the manual, check out this FCB1010 FAQ page. It is MUCH easier to understand than the manual.

11. Jamolah

Jamolah

Apr 28, 2005
    UK, North East
    I'm having some trouble getting these fellas to talk to each other too. I managed to assign the expression pedals to a couple of parameters with no problem, but I have trouble with a couple of other uses. Namely:

1) Getting another footswitch assigned to a parameter (In this case getting 6 to control T-wah on/off). I run through the same basic steps to assign the pedal, but when i press it the programme change command makes the VF 1 switch to a different patch, rather than giving me the sweet auto-wah goodness i desire. Which leads to the next, much bigger problem...

2) When i switch to another patch after making any assignments the VF1 switches from the User bank (UA1 etc) to the Preset bank of patches. i.e. I hit switch number 6 and my VF1 jumps from patch UA1 to patch PA6. But then when I hit switch 1 in an attempt to get back to my original patch, i get patch PA1 instead. I'm totally confused about this, as the MIDI map in the VF1 Utility menu seems not to have changed. And if i restart the unit and press switch 1 then I get patch UA1 back. It only seems to happen after I've made an adjustment/assignment to a parameter.

Anyone with succesful expeience dealing with issues like this who can swoop in an offer me some useful advice is more than welcome to come raid my fridge anytime they like. I have beer.

Cheers
    JP