1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VFE Pedals; would anyone with 1st hand experience...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, May 14, 2017.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ..tell me about these?
    What 'are they about'-What is 'their thing'?
    More 'out there' or on the more 'conservative' side?
    Clones or original designs?
    Reliable/well made?
    Customer service good?

Value for money over all?

Thanks!!

2. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 GNSRZRSKNVS Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Well currently they only have three pedals, and they aren't "out there". I bought a few custom pedals from them when they had a much larger selection, before they changed business models. The quality was boutique grade and the customer service is outstanding. One of the most underrated companies in my opinion. Buy with confidence.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    emjazz and XXL like this.
  3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I have had Alfa Dog v.2 - very nice kind of Rat, but it was better with guitar. Very tweakable pedals with an excellent quality.

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  4. I've got the VFE Tractor Beam (phaser/vibe), and think it's great. Probably mimicing sounds of other pedals, but it's very versatile so definately not a clone. It works flawlessly (but has been used very gently), and sounds great. I kept it and sold the Chase Bliss Audio Wombtone mk II (because personal preference regarding sound.

No experience of their customer support, and bought it through dealer.

Cheers,
    Kalle

blindrabbit and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    VFE has been around for a while - he started with mods, then clones, then full designs both original and based on clones with many additional features and improvements.

Well built, and well backed, buy with confidence.

(No affiliation, just like his stuff)

6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This.

I had the Mini Mu and Mini Mu Jr. Both were great. I have a couple of envelope filters that I prefer, otherwise I'd still own the Mini Mu. It's an excellent compact, 9v Mu-Tron III clone.

EDIT: I also had a one-off version of the Rocket, which is a great tone shaper.

7. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    There is a Reverb.com store still VFE driven, and he is doing a special run this summer of a few other things... Some of the old models can be purchased via Reverb too.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Top notch quality with outstanding features that for some reason no other manufacturers have thought to implement (footswitches can be on/off or momentary, adjustable level for LED).

That being said, I've had 5-6 of them but never kept any of them. They seem to be more guitar oriented. I really wanted a Standout HPF/LPF pedal, but I don't like that 47hz is as low as it cuts, and 15khz is as high as it cuts. If you don't want one or the other, it's impossible to dial out either one.

Driven Crane and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Peter is awesome but he's on kind of a hiatus at the moment. His students (he's a teacher), build pedals and he lets them keep them or sell them. Which is cool as hell. He helps them design them and everything.

He's not out of the game but has slowed down. His stuff is quality and he does work very hard to bring some originality to the pedal world.

I'd highly recommend his stuff.

10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    In a giveaway I won a special edition Woodchipper, which is his take on (I think) an Octavia-style bass octave fuzz. It's very, very good. My dealings with him were great---fast shipping, and then he did free mods after he made some design upgrades.

As others have said, as I understand things it's a mix of original designs and value-added clones. Lots of well thought-out features, high build quality. I wouldn't say much of it is ground-breaking, especially with his current reduced line and output. But, it's good stuff overall.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Sounds promising so far!
    Thanks!!

12. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Yes, and I will add a testimonial: Peter is great to work with. He makes pedals that are as well designed and built as anyone's. After ordering and buying a pair of custom pedals from him, and buying a used pedal of his from an owner, I have only good things to say about VFE Pedals.

13. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Bump to say it was bugging me that I couldn't remember for sure what I said about the basis for the Woodchipper. It's a Brassmaster, not an Octavia.