1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD VFE Triumvirate Bass - multiband distortion/drive pedal - OOP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by Grahams Groove, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Price:
    IMG_0585.

This is a unique beast. Now out of production, this was the most up-to-date version of VFE's Triumvirate & this is one of the bass-tuned models. This means it has the full set of internal trimpots to adjust the LED brightness, Pre-Gain, filters for each frequency band (Bass, Mid, and Treble), and a final high-cut to tame any harshness if you use higher gain levels or lots of treble. The internal trim pots on the bass model goes an octave lower than the pink guitar version in order to accommodate bass players. Here is an overview of the internal pots:
    • Pre-gain: Adjusts incoming bass signal. Set low to get softer overdrive tones, and set higher to slam the drive circuits for heavy distortion.
    • Low: Set the cut-off points for the highest frequencies sent to the "Bass" gain circuit. (A low-pass filter.)
    • Low Mid: Set the cut-off for the lowest frequencies sent to the "Mid" gain circuit.
    • Hi Mid: Set the cut-off for the highest frequencies sent to the "Mid" gain circuit. (Combined, Low Mid & Hi Mid act as a band-pass filter.)
    • Hi: Set the cut-off for the lowest frequencies sent to the "Treble" gain circuit. (A high-pass filter.)
    • Hi Cut: A final high cut. Leave it wide open to let everything through, or roll it back to cut any harsh gritty artifacts from the distortion circuits.
    The idea of numerous internal trimpots may seem daunting, but I found them super easy to use & adjust by ear. As it stands, I've got this thing tuned like a multi-band version of my Dunwich Volt Thrower 125B. The big difference is that the VFE allows you to isolate B/M/T, so you can choose which bands you want clean, gritty, or completely distorted & how loud you want each of them.

The external controls are simple. To dial in just roll everything to zero as a starting point and isolate one band at a time to determine how driven you want each of the three via the smaller "gain" knobs. Then use the larger knob on that band to adjust the volume. It's insanely versatile, and I especially like being able to do clean lows, heavily distorted mids, and slightly gritty (but very present) highs. This is one got me into that VT/Rat on steroids territory.

Final thing worth noting is that the clipping component for each band is unique & matched to those frequencies. Bass band gets MOSFET clipping, Middle band gets LED clipping, and the Treble band gets silicon clipping. Anyway, this is a lot of info, but there's not much detailed explanation on how they work & I don't think the VFE page is terribly helpful.

Price is $130 shipped, conus, Paypal.

IMG_0587. IMG_0588.

2. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    PM sent!

3. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Sold!