Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VFL Peavey pickups...How long is the battery life for everyone??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 18, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko www.markmichell.com

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Endorsements: Warwick Basses, Warwick Amps, EMG Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    Mine's about..a month.

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    how much do you play?:bassist:

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    and do you take the cord out of the jack on the bass when you're not playing?

4. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    always do, and i play 15+ hours a week. the bass takes two 9volts, and uses 18 volts, obviously. does it just drain a lot of juice? i dont know much about those pickups.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have two Peaveys with VFL's and the batteries last a long time. Long enough where I can't remember the last time I replaced them...:meh: But I have five basses so the Peaveys don't see the same playing time as yours perhaps.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I got plenty of life out of my Cirrus when I owned it.

7. MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    how often did you play though? I play about 2-3 hours a day and 80% of the time at loud volumes with my pickup volume knob maxed out.

8. Hi,

I've done some research on this and took some current measurements and here's what I found out:

My 5 string Cirrus uses a pair of batteries every 3 to 4 weeks (~60 hours of play time). The measured current draw from the Cirrus 5 pickups and electronics is on the order of 10 times that of a Cirrus 4.

NOTE: I have checked and the circuit is shutting completely off when I unplug the cable --- I am very faithful not to leave the guitar plugged in when I am not playing.

Cirrus 5 Cirrus 4
    Tone Electronics 0.69 mA 0.69 mA
    Neck Pickup 5.28 mA 0.25 mA
    Bridge Pickup 5.22 mA 0.25 mA

Bottom line: The 5/6 string pickups are power hogs. I had Peavey replace the tone electronics and the pickups and it still has the same high current draw. I've gone to high amperage rechargeable nine volts (not sold in Walmart) which I charge every three weeks.

I hope this info is helpful,

Mark

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I have a Cirrus 5, and I rarely EVER have to change the batteries. I've had my bass since 99 and I've changed the batteries only 3 times! The last 2 times I didn't change them because they were dead, I just did it because it had been 2-3 years since they had been changed.

I play my bass ALOT, it's been my only axe for most of the time I've had it, and I do a couple 3 set gigs every week, plus practice and rehearsal time.

10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I owned two Cirrus 5's but recently sold one. I found they go through batteries pretty quick. Much more so than EMG's, Bart's, etc. I end up checking them very often for this very reason. They do sound great though, don't they? Probably the biggest value dollar for dollar out there.