Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VH1's 100 greatest rock bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by backtoschool, Nov 18, 2000.

1. backtoschool

backtoschool

Oct 24, 2000
    I figured that this would be a fun thread to see what everyone opinions were on the list.
    Personally, I feel it is legitimate top 100 since you have actual rock stars and rock gods making the list. As far as the order goes, that's just a matter of opinion.
    Share your opinions on VH1 list of 100 greatest rock bands please (play nice)

2. i liked the show, i made sure i was home every night to watch it. of course a lot of it wasn't valid in the world of my taste but i guess mob rules

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    "...but I guess mob rules."

....if you listen to fools..... ;)

Hey, I watched it too. They included Rush, Yes, King's X and Living Colour, so it was at least semi-valid. Placing Nirvana higher than all 3 of those bands though??? :rolleyes: But then again, that's my personal opinion, eh? (I don't think Nirvana totally sucked, but I hardly think they influenced as many other bands as Rush or Yes did, and they certainly didn't have the talent or uniqueness of Living Colour or King's X).

4. Yes, But Nirvana made it Cool to be mediocre! Yay for Cobain!
    :rolleyes:

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Just another one of VH1's subjective list...:rolleyes:

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ah, so it's HIS fault we have all these lame-@$$ 3 chord wannabes getting record contracts? No wonder he offed himself!!! ;)

(That was a joke, y'all....possibly in poor taste, but none the less, just a joke :D)

7. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i was satisfied after seeing that they put the bad brains, and husker du on the count down. i just wanted to see the meat puppets on it, i figured they had a chance since other old punk acts were on it, the mc5, fugazi, husker du and the bad brains, but oh well.

8. I think most of it was legit, except, WHAT THE HELL WAS WITH ALL THE HAIR BANDS? Quiet Riot? Whitesnake? TWISTED SISTER?! That made me angry man, there's a reason why all those bands aren't anywhere right now! At least Sabbath, Hendrix, and Zeppelin got good placings on the list though.

9. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Ya! where was Mudhoney or Meat puppets?? And putting Soundgarden ABOVE Pink Floyd?? I think not.. here's what the top 10 should be, in no particular order

Led Zep
    Ozzy/Sabbath
    Hendrix
    ACDC
    Van Halen
    Floyd
    The Who
    Metallica
    Queen
    Aerosmith

And even though they had Rainbow up there, what about RONNIE JAMES DIO???

10. I wouldn't exactly call Fugazi and 'old punk band.' ;)

But I get what you mean. It was cool to see the Pixies and Husker Du place pretty well, and the Ramones and Sex Pistols got pretty high rankings too. I just wish that the Glenn Danzig segment had placed more emphasis on The Misfits, but I blame that on a lack of footage more than anything else.

Personally, I was holding out for The Afghan Whigs and Jawbox, but no such luck... We got Quiet Riot instead.

11. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the whole list was a joke. some of that crap had no business there. but the whole list was based on their opinion, not ours, right?

nirvana, soundgarden and the like would never have made it to my list.

12. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I only saw the first 20, and a few smatterings thereafter, but I was pleased as hell to see Ministry, Fugazi, and other "underground" bands get noticed. Note that this was a "greatest" rock bands list, so even if the bands didn't have technical chops or longevity, if they were heavily influential (Nirvana, Ministry), or inspirational (Fugazi), or chutzpah (Primus, who's also got the chops) they still have merit.

--noise

13. Yeah, and there were a few one hit wonders on there, too. Quiet Riot?? Definitely reaching with that one! And how the hell did King's X make it on there?? Besides the short lived "It's Love" and "Black Flag", who are they to these people? I'd have thought that if MTV/VH1 even recognized them at all, they would have been seen as "where are they now" failures. The band hasn't even really made it out of the club circut! (BTW, no flames please. They're my favorite band!)

Qintar, your right. With Husker Du and Bad Brains, where WAS The Meat Puppets??

14. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what was even funnier was vernon reid saying "King's X will be one of the greatest bands ever."

WHAT? He's not too smart is he? King's X has been around for a LONG LONG time and I don't think much will change their current status of releasing CDs on Metal Blade.

I am not a fan, although I respect their talent. Just doubt they'll ever achieve that much status.

15. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    you said

"Qintar, your right. With Husker Du and Bad Brains, where WAS the Meat Puppets??"

dude i just thought that a band that influential and long lasting shouldve been recognized, especially compared to some of the other bands that were on it. the meat puppets have been around since 1980 and have released 13 cds since then, without ever selling out or conforming to the mainstream, i think they should be recognized, not to mention curt kirkwood is one of the greatest guitarists ever.

16. You're right. I think they've already achieved as much status as they're ever gonna...

And Qintar, I was agreeing with you. I thought MP should've been on the list, too. Probably before 1/4 of the groups they had on there!

C'mon, Spinal tap? Lita Ford? Quiet Riot? KORN??? ;)

And what's with The Rolling Stones being #67?? and Korn was 53?? Why yes, I think we can all agree that Korn is a far superior, more influential group deserving higher honors than those Rolling Stones dudes. What the heck did they ever do?... :rolleyes:

F-ing ponderous :rolleyes:

BTW, here's the list: http://www.vh1.com/insidevh1/shows/100greatestlist/hardrock.jhtml

17. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    oh dude sorry, i thought you were being sarcastic when you were initially said that.

18. No problem. I like the Meat Puppets. Also, Husker Du is another one of my favorite bands. Ironically, one of my fav tunes by them is the tune on New Day Rising that has no bass! I think it's Perfect Example.

19. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    In my opinion, even though Led Zeppelin is a very legendary band, and their songs are awesome, in terms of the heaviness category and the influential true Heavy Metal riffs, I'd go with Sabbath as being #1. Pink Floyd I would not have placed under Soundgarden, and YES and RUSH should have placed higher. Hell, I hate the fact that they showed more Hagar that Roth on the Van Halen section.
    Anyhoo, have a good one!!!