Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"VH1's Criminal Videos"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 20, 2002.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Anybody gotta problem with convict videos?

Is POP music that bad that VH1 has to look to the slammer for music?

2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    You know I saw something about that the other day, and I am not sure what they are talking about. Could you explain what they mean?
    thanx

3. P. Aaron

VH1 is going into our hallowed halls of Corrections to highlight convict music, and is running a video series on it. So these convicts are getting face time on the tube. I'm bothered by it. Is anyone else?

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yes.

i HATE the direction vh1 is taking, especially with the hiring of the new executive (don't know his name, but he's responsible for a number of awful shows on mtv).

vh1 is really desperate for ratings. it's becoming mtv 2.5.

5. P. Aaron

I don't mind that convicts can take music class, or develope themselves, I just wish the media would stop sympathizing with them so much.

What about the victims of thier crimes? They have stories too.

6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    in the show's defense, there are disclaimers, and whenever a convict is introduced, a crime-profile is given (eg-Don. Rape. 15-25 years.)

kind of a CYA tactic.

i don't even really get the whole point of the show. to exploit our fascination with society's worst?

7. Bill O'Reilly was making a huge fuss about this on his show this past week. IMO, killers or not, I think they are entitled to some happiness as a musician.

8. P. Aaron

There should be as much occupational therapy as convicts good behavior will get them. I just wish the press would leave it well enough alone.

9. P. Aaron

I know I'm piling on but, there is a facination with social destroyers. The media have interviewed celeb killers in the past. Why? Profile: Mark david Chapman, or Selena's killer.

I personally refuse to watch, but I'm sick of society's worst getting the face time for the hell they visit upon others. This IS Just A Rant. Legit, though a RANT!

10. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
  11. A lot of the fuss stems from a woman watching her daughter's murderer enjoying himself on television. Frankly, I can't say I blame her--prison is not supposed to be a place where people have fun. I was under the impression it was a form of punishment, and so, apparently, was this woman. I know I don't want my tax dollars paying for musical instruments for prisoners.

I don't think this is occupational therapy. If you want to use prison time to teach prisoners skills, perhaps they should be skills that will get them jobs that pay a living wage? Last time I looked in the classifieds, there weren't many musicians wanted ads that promised a wage and benefits.

Aren't they supposed to be busy making license plates or something?

12. P. Aaron

10-04 there RJG. I'm bothered by this publicity. They should be punished. And, hopefully get some re-hab. (Fat Chance) If they can get music classes that's fine too.

But I resent VH1 going in there and giving these felons face time like they're just misunderstood, society's outcast, or worse plead innocence.

13. rjg...exactly!!! Did you know that the guy who put this together was the man who also started Scared Straight?

Fetch!

14. the media just wants me to go on anti-depressants.

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Screw 'em. When they brought such life-long misery on innocent people, they don't deserve to ever be happy. The families they destroyed will never be the same. From now on, everything good that happens in those families' lives, will never be quite as good.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I agree.

17. Maybe I'm too much of a pinko...but

From an economical stand-point, its a waste of money to lock up people, pay for medicine and food etc. When they're contributing nothing to society. Therefore, prison is a prime oppurtunity to teach potential repeat offenders some useful skills, even if they don't pursue a musical career when they get out, at least they'll have an outlet.

Furthermore, people aren't preordained by birth to be criminals. Similarly, no one WANTS to go out and shoot someone or rob a store. They do so out of necessity. Why are there fewer robberies or murders (at least generally) in suburbia? because people have what they need, they feel safe and fulfilled and don't need anything. On the other hand, some people have NOTHING sometimes even less than nothing. People don't deal drugs because they want to, they deal them because they have to, because there's no other choice except working at McDonalds. While I admit this isn't the case with every prisoner, I don't think that ostricizing them for doing the logical thing in their position is going to help anyone. I mean, honestly, does anyone have any better ideas of what to do in their position?

Besides, some great people/musicians went to prison:

Hank Williams, Malcolm X and Mike Ness, to name a few

Of course, your opinions on those individuals may vary as well.

That said, I still think rapists should be castrated...there really isn't any excuse for that.

18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what is more logical to make a dollar in a capitalist nation that does not tolerate crime: flipping burgers or shooting someone?

19. I know most people here would never ever consider taking a job flipping burgers or something of that such. Especially not those of the younger generation, its such a demoralizing and undignified position. By comparison, criminal life a) has more notoriety, b)higher rewards, and there's always the chance you won't get caught. If you grow up in a violent enviroment (which many criminals do) violence will seem like the easiest solution and in many ways the most glamorous. I don't care what anyone else says, violence IS glamorous in America. FACT.

As for not tolerating crime, in order to go to jail the authorities need to first catch you, and then convict you. I've seen people as guilty as sin walk while innocent men and women are on death row. That's a funny kind of Justice.

Besides, I doubt it would make much of a difference to those of the criminal occupation, many of them are so hate-filled and destitute any way out is welcome.
    So, we can either A) keep throwing a huge number of lower class individuals behind bars for extended periods of time, increasing the costs of prison supplies and personnel, build more prisons and still have a high rate of violent crime (the highest in the world, I believe). or B) cut off the problem at its root, start showing these people alternatives. Few People love their jobs, but if you could give them something to be proud of, I think they'd be a little more complacent "flipping burgers".