VHF/UHF systems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wendy, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Wendy

Feb 24, 2005

I am not a bass guitarist, but I have a friend who is a brilliant player and I want to buy him a VHF or UHF system for his birthday. Any recommendations? There are a lot on the market and I want to find the best I can. I am English but live in France. Please can you help?

Wendy ;)
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Wendy,

I've never used a wireless system and know nothing about them, so I've moved this over to 'effects' where you're more likely to find someone knowledgeable about them!

3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I believe UHF is the superior choice...don't know too much about them though.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi Wendy,

I did a lot of research before I got my wireless system last week. UHF is a better choice for a couple reasons, first there is more bandwith and frequencies available, so there is less of a chance with interference from other wireless systems, cell phones, etc that operate in the area. Second, if you get a system that has what's called "diversity", the RF features of that technology enhance the anti-interference qualities, and improves response so your friend can walk further from his base station with no dropouts.

There are plenty of good brands out there (Shure, Samson), The one I got is an AKG WMSDV40 Guitar Bug system from eBay and love it.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thanks Steve, but we're cutting down on the wireless threads, so off to Misc. (Sorry for the runaround Wendy!)

But my $0.02...avoid VHF at all costs, UHF is much less succeptable to radio interference and tends to sound clearer. It is more expensive, but worth the price IMO.
  6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I don't know your budget....but one of the better pro units out there is the Shure ULXP14...a guitar/bass system goes for about $750.00 USD.

a more affordable version is the ULXS14 ...the same technology, but with fewer channels...about $600.00 USD

hope this helps
  7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just picked up a wireless unit the other day, with my main requirement being price and specs low enough to handle bass.

The only thing I could find which was remotely close to my price range and had the frequency response specs that would definitely handle the lows was a Shure UT14. Everything else either did not go low enough in frequency response (UT14 states it goes down to 20hz!) or was way too expensive (UT14 on MF is $259.99 which GC matched). 20hz is the lowest I've seen on these low-mid priced units.

GC told me they were on clearance because the new channel changing PGX units were replacing the UT14. The PGX units at GC were decently priced (they offered me $349.99) and I considered it, but I made them crack open the box and the book, and found the frequency response went to 40hz :spit: . Yeah, I know I play a 4-string and 40hz *should* be able to handle my Sterling (theoretically) but a few months back, I bought a Carvin U7000 UHF unit from a cool guy here on TB and while the unit functions great, the lows and feel really were sucked out way too much for me to accept, as much as I loved the way the thing worked. And that unit stated it went to 50hz. So I felt 40hz just wasn't safe enough.

Anyway, I haven't tried the Shure UT14 yet, but I will tonight, and from all reviews online from people who play bass, they state it does great. We shall see. I'll update with my review on the unit soon. If a 20hz spec and Shure quality still doesn't cut it, I'm giving up on wireless until I find an X-wire lying in the middle of the street or gets shipped to me by accident :ninja: