Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VHF vs UHF Wireless Specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pshift, Nov 3, 2003.

1. pshift

pshift

May 30, 2003
    Downstate NY
    I'm not going to mention the brand but here are the specs from the same manufacturer:

VHF - 25HZ-20KHz +/- 3db
    120db dynamic range
    THD l.t.

UHF - 50HZ-15KHz +/- 3db
    120db dynamic range
    THD l.t. 0.6%

This is not a typo. The same manufactorer gives a better frequency rating for the VHF units. Opinions?

If this is in the wrong forum, mod's feel free to move to the appropriate area.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This would probably be better suited in the Miscellaneous forum..

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    The reason Nady went into UHF was to increase the
    range the transmitter could be from the reciever, and to have less "drop out's". I have 2 VHF units
    and have never had any problem with them, cause I
    play small to medium clubs & house party type of gig's.:)

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    As far as I know, using UHF doesnt necesarily increase the range of a unit, in fact I believe its the opposite, due to the shape of the wave.

One of the advantages is that it is less prone to interferences than VHF.

I have used many units in both arrangements.
    It seems that the companding algorithm in the UHF units has to use less bandwith, hence the audio range reduction.

To achieve 20/20 in UHF its always more expensive than in VHF.
    VHF use broader channels.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, the advantage of UHF is less interference. The VHF units operate in frenquency bands that are more likely to suffer from interference.

As the specs, I wouldn't use that UHF unit. There are better ones that have a better low end response.

I'm actually surprised that manufacturers aren't jumping onto digital technologies. There are some good bands to use and the parts to do digital are becoming more and more affordable. Spread spectrum can be extremely resistant to interference.