Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I have...as many of you might also...the equipment to convert VHS to DVD...you think anyone out there would want to convert there tapes over for a price? Anyone know of a business doing it? I'm doing a tape of my buddies and thought it might be a way to get a little extra spending cash.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have no desire to put my VHS stuff on DVD, nor do I want to put my extensive cassette collection on CD. Maybe others might though

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There is definitely a market for it and, yes, lots of people are doing it. Just check the Yellow Pages for video duplication...

Tom

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Copyright issues.
    My brother attempted to have a BETA tape duped to either VHS or DVD. The locals here said "No can do".
    (I guess that FBI Warning at the beginning scared them off?).
    ;)

...there's no problem duping "Home-Movies".

5. Actually, copyright laws are not being infringed. When you buy a VHS, you are authorized to make ONE copy for "archival" purposes, just like Computer Software. However, this one copy does not have to be on any one type of media. So you can make this copy on another VHS tape, or place in on DVD or even LaserDisc if you felt the need. The only other stipulation is that if you're making the copy for someone else, you cannot charge money for it, as making a profit from it would be violating Copyrights, which is maybe why the afore mentioned company backed out...

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well I was refering to make copies of home movies...the kids football games, family reunions, etc... No copyright law there right???

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    No, you're good-to-go with the home movies.

Almighty Bass-
    ...you sound like a defence attorney.
    ;)

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Sweet I had thought so...found an online service for it that charges 19.99 fo the first coy 6.95 for everyone thereafter. Thats' with no menus.

9. I try....

I guess being a hacker in High School paid off...