Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Viability of a heavy band w/EUB

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Dec 1, 2003.

1. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I want to float one of the musical ideas in my head... What would everyone think of a metal band that uses a double? Or more likely an EUB?Sort of like Fear Factory did on "Edge Crusher". I don't know for sure that they used an upright, but it sure sounds like it. Maybe not even a 100% heavy band, just on the harder side of rock... I would like to start such a project... What other heavy bands have done that?

I've been listening to a lot of Mingus lately and I hear some anger in that... songs that would be good heavy tunes.

Maybe:
    Guitar: Daron from System
    Drums: Igor from Sepultura
    Bass : ??

2. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    whoops

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    EUB, entirely possible and would sound great. I play in a cover band, and we do a couple of Creed songs. I usually bring my NS 5 string EUB, and its huge, thick tone works wonders on "eyes wide open" as well as a host of more "pop" tunes. If its your own music, the sky's the limit.

4. I think it would sound great, but it's really going to limit what you can do on stage which is usually pretty important with heavy music... Maybe just a fretless?

I saw Tiger Army open for Rancid a couple weeks ago, their bassist plays a big double bass. Pretty cool to see.

5. although not heavy...Jim Creegan uses an Real DB and NS electric DB live and onstage with the barenaked ladies...check out the song "brian wilson"

6. how in the world would you do galloping triplets on an upright??

7. hey all,

my friend Greg Campbell plays in a metal band in Montana using his EUB. it's a 5 string tuned F#-B-E-A-D and it sounds AWESOME !!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does Reverend Horton Heat count?

A bowed EUB can have a very menacing sound (See Mr. Krinkle/Glass Sandwich by Primus) so as long as it's not Thrash/Death Metal, I'd say it'd be cool.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think it would be cool.

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Tony Levin got some pretty menacing tones out of his NS design EUB on King Crimson's Thrak album. Bowing it with distortion reeally makes it thick and dark.