Vibrating head slides

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Vader, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Dave Vader

Dave Vader

May 18, 2009
    Devon Uk
    Okay, so I just got my new GK backline 600 head. I set it up on top of my 2 Laney 15" cabs, and it sounds lovely, only trouble is I noticed it moves around a lot on top of there. I don't think this kind of shaking can be healthy, either the heads going to go flying off, or something might get shaken loose. I don't particularly want to take up extra stage room with the head going on a separate table or something, any ideas on how to stop it moving around so much up there, short of gaffer taping it down?

2. knw

knw

Dec 8, 2008
    Find out where they sell foam in your town and get a nice 1" - 2" thick piece whatever size you need. It shouldn't be more then 10 bucks.

Vibration is bad for the amp even tho they are design to take it I wouldn't risk it.

A foam piece between the amp and the cab makes a huge difference and it will save you trips to the amp tech trust me I've learned the hard way.

Even when I drive my amps around I always have a foam piece under them unless they are in a nicely padded hard case.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    They make nice foam "no slide" granny mats you can get for about 10 bucks - I got mine at Cost Co, and put it in between my rack and cabinet. They're intended for people standing around in the kitchen.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Can also use the thinner no slide mats intended to go under rugs on wood floors, cutting boards, etc. Very inexpensive and will keep from sliding. If your cab has rat fur you can add a bit of velcro to the bottom of the head and that usually stops sliding.

5. +1 on the foam rubber... mattress pad type. I did not know it was happening behind me and my drummer alerted me just b4 my 82lb head and rack fell off a 2x410 Avatar stack...it could have been very bad....Note: the system was not loud but pumping a lot of low end at a smile making volume!!!

:bag:

6. i always stick a piece of foam between my head/cab, it absorbs a lot of the vibrations.

7. Dave Vader

Dave Vader

May 18, 2009
    Devon Uk
    Thanks for that, I have a load of cushion foam that I use to pad out my very cheap cases lying around, i will try sticking some of that inbetween the head and cabs.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021