1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vibrating speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Can over tightening the screws that hold in a speaker cause it to vibrate and buzz when you play certain notes?

Here's the full story.

Ok, so I've been having trouble with a nasty buzzing noise in my speaker cab. This cab started this a few months back, I took it apart discovered three of the screws holding the speaker in were striped, I replaced those three with T-Nuts and machine screws. All was good, then a week ago the buzz came back. I decided it was time to replace all the screws (read about that adventure here).

I've done that, but somehow the vibrating/buzzing has gotten worse. Anytime I play an F at anything close to performance volume I get a really loud buzzing sound.

Because of the problems I've been having with this cab, I'm worried that I was over zealous when tightening the speaker screws. I did them each a little at a time, skipping my way around the frame so as not to warp the speaker, but I did make them pretty darn tight.

My question is, could having them too tight cause this problem? Or do I need to try and tighten them even more?

Any other ways to fix this sort of speaker vibration problem?

2. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    I've never heard of anyone else doing this -maybe for good reason- but when I installed a new speaker in one of my cabs, I calked the edge of the speaker cutout and then screwed in the speaker while the calk was gooey. I've never had any issues with buzzing.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It could if it bent the frame and caused the voice coil to go out of alignment. This was common with the EV SROs circa 1970, their frames being not strong enough, but it's a rare occurance today. Try loosening the bolts and see what happens. You should be using lockwashers to keep the bolts secure, not excessive torque.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Problem with this method is that if you ever need to remove a speaker you are going to have one hell of a job doing so. Weather stripping will do the same job without the speaker becoming a permanent part of the cabinet.

Paul

5. Assuming calk=silicone sealant its not too bad to get off and seals very well. 10 minutes pulling and rubbing it off and you'd never know it was there.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Certainly it's easy to get off BUT you have to break the seal to the cabinet first! Every try to remove a kitchen sink that's been caulked? trust me it ain't easy!

Paul

7. You may also have air leaks or loose cabinet panels or braces.

8. Or the speaker may simply be blown. I had one in a 4x10 that would sometimes buzz, sometimes not. It was blown.

9. Loosening the screws certainly has helped. The really nasty vibrating noise is gone.

But there's something still not quite right. A quieter buzz that doesn't seem to be tied to playing any particular note. Probably wouldn't notice this in performance, but I couldn't mic this cab for recording as is.

I might have some spare weather stripping I could try. That might help seal it a little better without too much torque.

10. Try some "rope caulk" used for window sealing, non hardening, seals and fills in uneven surfaces.

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Vibrations are sometimes hard to track down. It can be deceptive where the vibrations are coming from. Check the simple stuff first.

First check your baffle and make sure that it isn't warped. Is the baffle itself vibrating because it isn't attached properly. Is the grille cloth flapping. Is there anything loose on the speaker. Check to see if the wires or connector plate are vibrating. Check the speaker gasket for unevenness or damage.

Try rotating your speaker 180 degrees and remounting it. See if makes a difference.

12. I forgot to mention rotating the speakers, used to do that with older drivers.

13. Have you tried moving the speaker cone (carefully) by hand? Do this somewhere quiet. If it's the speaker, you'll hear a scrape-scrape sound as it moves in and out.