1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vibrating Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KarateKid25, May 9, 2006.

1. Just wanted to ask some fellow stingray owners if they notice any vibration coming from their bass. I understand that obviously the strings are going to cause the body to resonate, but I can't help but think there is some extra noise coming from in there. If I play the A string quite hard, I notice it most. Its only really if im practising and playing unplugged that I can hear it. The sound of the amp covers it when im plugged in.
    So....When you guys play the A with a bit of force, do you get anything at all other than string sound? Im being pretty trivial here. Its not a biggie, but now that I have noticed it, its bugging me!! I have put my fingers on all the knobs and screws and anything else that could make a slight vibrating sound and it seems to still be there. What do you think it could be? Maybe the strings themselves?? hmmmm.... :meh:

2. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Could you be more descriptive about the "extra noise" you hear? Is it a rattle? buzz? clank? Does it only happen on the open A string? Does it happen on any fretted notes? Does your Stingray have a compensated (Earvana) nut by any chance?

More info would be very helpful.

3. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    Its probably a loose screw somewhere. Try testing the screws on the pickups to see if theyre loose, and the tuning pegs and tuners.

4. Ummm...Kinda hard to explain. Its not a rattle as in something loose hitting something else. Its not a clank. I guess its a buzz. Without going BBBBZZZZZ. Imagine the sound of a string being plucked and then you pluck it harder and get an extra noise... hmmm... a drone perhaps??
    Yeah Im finding this pretty hard to explain... :meh:
    As far as i know it just has the normal nut??

EDIT: Its not only the A string, but thats the string that seems to make it sing the most...

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've got a slight noise coming from somewhere on the headstock of my Sterling, but it's so quiet and can only be heard unplugged.

At first it sounded like it was coming from near the neck joint but as I followed the sound up the neck it appears to be a tiny metalic sound from one of the tuners.

Not going to lose any sleep over it anyway.

6. Yeah i'll give that a go. Is there any possibility of anything inside the bass vibrating?

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Maybe a loose truss rod that vibrates inside its cavity at certain frequencies.

Does this extra vibration/noise translate into the amp?

Another far idea is that you may have a bad string or strings and the core is separate and vibrates inside the outter wrap. I know it happens, but I don't know if is such a loud noise to make anybody aware.

Furthermore, I recently experiences a buzz coming from BEHIND my fretting note. The fretboard was adjusted too flat and the certain strings and notes would vibrate behind the fretting note.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had an MM5 that had a rattling noise coming from the headstock.

9. The truss rod could be the source. Is there any remedy for that if it is the truss??
    The noise doesn't appear to get amplified.

10. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    it's probably one of the tuners... it happens.

11. ukfin

ukfin

Jun 28, 2005
    Call EB customer service . They're great and will definately help you solve the problem

never had any probs with either of my rays so I cannot give any other advice

12. Ok thanks. So my two main choices so far seem to be tuners and truss rod. When you say tuners im assuming you mean the handle kinda part?
    Im at work at the moment...not doing much... So I can't try any remedies till I get home.
    Thanks for the input though guys and if anyone else has any ideas, then please keep them coming... Gives me a few things to try.