1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vibration from Tuners.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GeoffByrne, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I have an annoying vibration when I play, which I *think* I've traced back to 'Elephant Ears' being slightly loose in the shaft of the tuner, thus allowing them to rattle.

Has anyone got any tips as how to tighten or generally secure the 'Ears'?

2. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I tighten all possible screws. SOmetimes it works sometimes it doesn't. on deluxe type tuners their is a crew on the edge of the tuning head. then their is the big screw on the back. i have tried taking a tuner aprt and switching parts around with mixed results.

I have an acoustic bass that this hasn't worked on, and because it's acoustic it is REALLY anoying so I could hear some other tips also.

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Also, tighten the nut-bushings on the top of the headstock (the nut that encircles the tuning post).

You've probably already checked this, but does your truss rod have any tension?

4. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Some old Yamahas rattle like crazy but still stay in tune pretty well - they have some kind of esoteric system intended to permit adjustment in some kind of gear ratio, but apparently just get loose over time. I've taken to looping rubber bands to bind the vibrating shaft to the next shaft over, just below the ear, which seems to solve the problem - inelegant, but effective. All thanks to John Carruthers for this tip.

5. Thanks for the tips.

The truss rod has some tension, and I don't think it's that, as the vibe stops when I touch the tuners lightly. I'll try the rubber band thing. :)

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Had this happen twice and changed the tuners out.

One I could see where someone tried some kinda RTV or similar to no avail.

Know a welder?

Jim