Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vibration sound only on certain notes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raycer, May 27, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    SWR LA15

I picked it up last week and have been pleased with it except for the fact that even at half volume, you get a pretty intense vibration sound when you play the G and A notes on the E string. And open E causes no such problem. The volume isn't even high, just about 1/2 way and the bass boost will be in the middle (no boost) and it'll still do it.

Could it be a sign of something wrong? or just the fact that it is only a sub $300 amp.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Are the vibrations coming from the cab, or the room? Not uncommon for room acoustics to cause vibration, but if its coming from the cab, its a sign of bad design and/or manufacture. The cab shouldn't rattle at all.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Might also be that the cabinet is tuned to a frequency near those notes.
    I have an old 115 ported cab, and when I go down near E, from F# to H, it starts to vibrate slightly. The vibration is most intense at E; however, there is also a volume increase: therefore the cab was tuned to 40Hz

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i had a problem with something sort of like that with my D string a while back. when i hit it open it made a weird vibration or rattling noise. later it turns out the D sting wasnt very secure on the nut so i re strung it and it worked fine afterward. i don't know if that has anything to do with your problem. but it was similar and you might want to check that out.

5. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    My EBS 6x10" Cab. does exactly that thing.

What is the best way to fix this bug ?

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Try a few things:

Tilt the cab back - same prob?

Move the cab to the other side of the room - same prob?

Move the cab to another room - same prob?

Try a different bass, or disconnect/connect any stomp boxes - same prob?

Have six beers - same prob? :p

...Let us know.

7. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    LOL, on the 6 beers :)

Tried it with both basses, same problem. I'll try it in a different spot/ room and see. Space is limited in my small house :)

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    It is in all likelyhood the room. Everywhere I go I've seen this happen. One of the ways you can test it is to play the octaves of that note to see if they also cause resonance. Usually the unison will cause an object to resonate very strongly, but the octave, fifth, and other notes will also cause various types of resonance.

9. I read an article about upright basses having a similar phenomenon known as "Wolf Tones"....can solid bodied basses be prone to such a thing perhaps?