Vibrations on the bridge

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by AKirkman, Jan 1, 2003.

1. AKirkman

Jan 1, 2003
    My name is Andrew and I have just got a Bass guitar for christmas. I am new to the bass guitar and some problems have just started arising. The model is an Ibanez GSR200 it is a good bass and so far I have been getting some good results from it.
    However when I play it some times down at the bridge of the bass there is a humming noise as the sting vibrates against metal. I would like to know if a ny one would be a ble to help me.
  2. You might try adjusting the bridge screwws a little and see if that helps:

1. check the screws that hold the bridge to the body. Are they tight?

2. Check the screws that hold the bridge saddles in place (horizontal, "intonation" screws). Do they rattle? maybe try a couple of turns (< 1/4 inch) see if tat helps.

3. Check the saddle string-height screws. Sometimes those take an allen type wrench. You can raise or lower those a little bit. Don't overdo it though... or else your srtings will be too high or low...and then you'll experience a whole other set of problems.

4. You can check the pickguard cover, if you have one. Those sometimes make weird rattling sounds.

5. If none of this helps, spend a little cash and take your bass to a good luthier/repair/setup dude.
    For twenty bucks or so, they can diagnose and repair your rattling sound.

good luck
  3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

thank you much for this excellent advice (espically #5), I couldn't have said it better myself.

if you take it to a cat to fix it, have him show what he did so you can give it a try next time that buzzing acts up again.

on bass, watt

on bass, watt