Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vibrato effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King David, Jun 1, 2001.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Does anybody know o an effect that will make a vibrato type sound?

Will any of the following work for this sound?
    Chorus
    Tremelo
    Rotovibe

Has anybody tried the tremelo or rotovibe on a bass?
    How does it sound?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What a vibrato effect does is change the pitch of the note you played in an up/down pattern. It's basically what a whammy bar does on a guitar, except it KEEPS doing it. The whammy bar IS called a tremolo, but this is technically incorrect. I think we can thank Fender for that misnomer.

A chorus will almost kinda maybe sorta do it, but the short answer is no. It almost works on the same theory of changing the pitch, but not what you want. What a chorus pedal does is play the note, and then play the same note slightly delayed (REALLY slightly) at a slightly different pitch, to simulate a "chorus" of basses playing at the same time.

While a vibrato varies pitch, a tremolo pedal varies volume, so, depending on how you set the pedal, it would be like rapidly turning your volume knob up and down really fast.

The Rotovibe is indeed what you want. It is a vibrato pedal, and also has a chorus mode.

Hope this helped. :)

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Does a rotovibe work well with a bass?

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dunno, never tried one. The only thing I would worry about is it might take out a little low end from your signal, some effects tend to do that. Sorry I can't be more help.