vibrato trouble

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ttekulve, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Okay, this may be a dumb question, but I am working on finding my sound and am having a problem. I am consistently getting a wierd vibrato type sound when using my mic. My setup is aN Engelhardt ES 9 with a Moses-lace magnetic pickup and a Trinity Golden Mic. tomastik (spelling-yikes) superflex strings. The bass sounds great unamplified. The magnetic gives it a nice full round (electricish tone). The Mic adds a ton of nice true-tone punch. the overall sound is great, however the mic has a vibrato that drives me nuts, sounds like a chorus on the bass. It lessens when I move the mic around/farther away. Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Why am I getting that sound when the bass sounds fantastic unamplified. Wierd!!!
  2. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    This may seem crazy, but are there ceiling fans in the room? This could be the culprit. I can tell the difference acoustically in my small wood floor practice room, but mics are usually sensitive enough to pick them up in larger rooms as well.

3. No, actually it's in my basement. It's finished with carpet and very low foam tile cielings. Maybe it's just the mic picking up sound bouncing back in th esmall area I'm in. But then moving the mic farther out from the bass shouldn't change a thing.