Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vic Bailey

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BoiNtC, Jun 2, 2003.

1. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Saw him live today, and man can this guy stay in pocket and hold his groove without having to get too fancy with stuff like 2hand tapping. Glad I got the chance to sit with him and chat with him, also got to meet Richard Bona and chat with him and some other dudes all at once!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah he is a groove monster, great stuff.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This guy is one of the most underrated soloists out there. He uses the whole range of the instrument and plays changes like a good horn player rather than a riffing guitar/bass player. He also has one of the best j-bass tones I've heard.

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I agree. He is pretty darn under-rated. When we were hanging around talking he was telling us how we should go check him out when he's headlining instead of with Cobham so he can play out more. I love his tone! So much I'm thinking about getting a Vic Bailey bass, I didn't know him well enough and I didn't want to be rude and ask to play his bass because I just met him that night, but one of the guys we were with (not Richard Bona) went up to play a bit unplugged. He has a sweet rig too. His rig is almost like Millers, and I love both their tones. In fact I love both their tones so much I'm an avid EBS user now :) . Well besides the fact that my teacher is a EBS dealer and has been raving about how great it is :p . Bona is amazing too! Gotta check out his new cd thats coming out. It was so cool to get introduced to two bass greats and be able to chat and joke around with them :) REAL nice people. Down to earth too!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think the biggest reason why Victor bailey is underrated, is because a large portion of the bassin world thought "who is this cat? he can never replace jaco" and from all time after ward, people closed themselves to him thinking "he's just that cat that came after jaco"(in weather report)

I think he is a wonderful bassist, and deserves far more appreciation than he apparently gets.

not to hijack the thread, but the bassist before Jaco(in weather report), Alphonso Johnson, is also ridiculously good, he might not have had that firy intensity that Jaco had, but he always had such inventive and happening grooves, on top of that he could shred.