Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vic Wooten bolt-on!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joelc73, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you haven't checked these out yet, you should. Fodera just announced them last week.

They are bolt-on versions of Victor's Monarch. I played one about two weeks ago and was really, really impressed. The fretwork, action and tone were as good as any of the more expensive Monarchs that I've played. The biggest difference is the bolt-on design.

They are a pretty cool option for someone who doesn't have the money for a neck-thru or dovetail bass right now.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Interesting. Looks like Fodera's trying to make a broader impact in the upper "low-end" market (I'm assuming this will be significantly cheaper than the dovetail and neck-through Fodera's). I have an example of their other other bolt-on foray (the NYC Empire) sitting in my living room right now and I enjoy it quite a bit so I'd be willing to bet that this will be a nice sounding bass.

Could possibly turn into a cash cow for them too - Fodera's name combined with Wooten's name (they will be forever associated with Wooten's name anyway) but at a lower price. The question to me is just how much will they be?

brad cook

[​IMG]

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The preamp doesn't look like the Pope.

4. Originally posted by Christopher

The preamp doesn't look like the Pope.

Yeah. Way fewer knobs. :)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well that's good. The Pope would probably be pretty insulted to hear that he looks like a preamp. Although that giant hat is pretty funny looking. *rimshot*

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just got back a price inquiry for the VW bolt-on. I wanted to know as I'm interested in possibly turning my NYC Empire into a fretless and getting a new fretted sometime maybe around summer.

Anyway...I don't know that it would be right for me to post the exact quote here since they don't have them posted on the net but I will say that the quoted price is somewhere in the range of MSRP on a new USA Lakland 44-94 and 55-94 standard. I hope that's a PC way of saying it. Am I being silly in not just giving you the price?

brad cook

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yes, unless they said it was a secret;)

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E
    :D

10. Originally posted by Slater

B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E

Nice. :)

11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    It doesn't have a mid control like the standard Pope pre-amp. The one I played though, honestly, didn't need it. It had an amazing slap tone with both pick-ups on full and nailed the throaty J-bass tone with the bridge pick-up soloed.

12. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I can believe that, because I usually just play my Emperor passive. Sounds great. Sometimes I'll go active for a little more volume and I'll boost the bass a little so the B sounds fuller. It's cool to see a less expensive Fodera. Though the Fodera decoder ring tells me that's still a bunch of cash. I got mine pre loved.

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I don't get it. :confused:

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It's from the movie "Christmas Story" It applies to the Ovaltine statement!

I love bolt on necks, by the way. Actually, I prefer them. The only bass I gig with that isn't bolt on is my VW Classic. Because it is a dovetail design, you get the best of both worlds. Neckthrough sustain and bolt on punch. I'd be interested in one of the VW bolt ons when they're available. Sounds like a cool idea

Rob

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I hear that quite a bit. The pope preamp isn't the tightest preamp on the market for sure. I think Fodera's sound the best flat or passive. The pope preamp and even the original HAZ LAB neither had great mid control or bass.
    I understand a slight boost in the highs or lows helps on them. But I do agree with bethanybass, fodera's sound better straight forward.

Thats great to hear their bringing another bolt-on line into play to help pick up a broader group of players. $3000 list isn't bad if you figure what cost is. Sounds like they should sell between $2300-2500..... or so?

I'll be sure to check them out at NAMM!

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    3000 + a couple hundred actually. :)

brad cook

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes, it's from "A Christmas Story".
    It's a decoder ring joke. Apparently, not executed very well :oops: .

18. That bass is REALLY nice looking. How does it sound?

(I mean, when you aren't slapping!) ;)

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Your execution was fine. Everybody can't get everything;)

20. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've played the neck-thru Wooten's and they're pretty nice. The bolt-on puts it right in the price range of a Roscoe, which I was looking at.

The downside to this is.... it's a signature bass and I've always felt wierd about ever owning someone else's bass. Just seems wierd to me.

Still, I'll have to see if one of these pops into Sam Ash in the near future (the one in Hollywood usually has at least a Fodera or two to play).