Vic Wooten - holy crap !!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by snfjtu, Mar 24, 2001.

1. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    I just listened to a part of "Classical Thump" on cdnow . . . somebody pick my jaw up off the ground. What the hell is he doing in that song? It's unbelievable.
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s slapping, and uses hammer-ons quite a bit:D
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out one of his videos - either <b>Super Bass Solo Technique</b> or <b>Live at Bass Day 1998</b> - or go see him live, either solo or with Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
  4. That's pretty much the same expression I had when I heard "Me and My Bass Guitar".
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Or me when I first heard his slap techique on Vital Tech Tones' "Lie Detector":

You gotta admire that man's technique! He can groove too! All in all a fantastic bass player!
  6. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    I was just wondering, is it possible to get to that level with a normal amount of practice, or is that something reserved for people who can spend 12 hours a day playing bass? I have a day job like many of us do, and when I'm off I like to play, but I don't think I could spend all of my off time on that. So I was just wondering if it would be possible to get to that point with about a half hour or so of practice a day.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Vic isn't using orthodox technique; his whole MO is to get as many notes with as little effort as possible, so he plucks as well as slaps with his thumb. As Phreaky notes, he also throws a lot of hammer-ons. I think it's worth it to buy one of his videos, just so you can see what he's doing.
  8. snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Cool...I'll look into checking out some of his videos. Does anybody have any suggestions? Like which is the best/most comprehensive one?
  9. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    Well I don't know if you have heard about Vic's recently Bass/Nature Camp. Well I was a camper and let me tell you that it changed my life. Victor is an excelent person and obviously an excelent bass player. We learned a lot about music itself and many other stuff musicians usually leave behind. Well his has many, many techniques... the one he uses on classical thumb is the thumb-thumb-pluck technique, in which he will slap a note, the pluck it with his thumb (again) and the the final pluck...sometimes he plucks 3 times!!!! so he gets those fast, beautifull and clean notes from his bass. He also does a lot of tappin, so you might never know what he's actually doing, whetet slappin or But he's great.
    It took me like 6 months to handle this tecnique and I still have a LONG way to go, which is amazing... when you start learning his techniques and applying them in the spiritual nature of music you will see an amazing improvement in youself and in your playing....your bass will talk for you.

Bassically Yours

Greetings from Costa Rica!!!
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As well as being $25 cheaper than the DCI video, the Bass Day 98 video covers his basic technique pretty well. There's plenty of closeups of his hands. You also get Reggie Wooten on guitar (as amazing as Vic, believe it or not) and Oteil. On the downside, there's no notated or tabbed transcriptions.
  11. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland

I think it's possible. You can't get his ideas by practice, but you can get some the technique. Like this song classical thump. It sounds like a real monster -and it is. But it is actually surprisingly easy to play when you get the idea of how it is done. The tapping stuff is way harder because it requires ability to think kinda like a piano player with playing chords and melodies at the same time.