Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vic wooten thumb technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joeyzaza, Feb 2, 2006.

1. joeyzaza

joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    Hello, I guess most of you must know this technique http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4449818176212403705&q=victor+wooten

Vic makes it look so easy, but it seems impossible to me, my fingers are about the same size as vics, but my problem is, I have a 5 string, and the string spacing is way smaller than on his bass, or most 4 strings, and the depth from the body to the strings is 15mm, with a big p pickup in the way, but anyway, would any of that make it more difficult to execute? Or should I be able to do it on any bass guitar? It seems so hard, maybe it's just me. Can anyone do that?

2. Jabinski

Jabinski

Jan 30, 2006
    You need thumb narrowing surgery.
    That's the best advice I can give today.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Im sure with enough practice, you can execute the technique on a 5 string, just as well as you could on a 4 string, etc.. its just about the practice.

:)

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Bill Dickens does it on a 7-string. No Excuses.

:p

-Mark

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    Bill dickens dosent double thumb. i've asked him in person. he only uses pop slap and left handed mutes.

I have a very thick thumb, that is not double jointed. but i have 19mm string spacing on my 6 string that makes it much easier. also, i kind of cheat. I can only do it over a pickup or a finger ramp. it keeps my fingers from diggin in and getting under the strings. which will catch your fingers and slow them up.

6. the thumping isn't so bad, but it's taking me awhile to get comfortable with thumping+plucking

7. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    Hey,thanks for posting the link.
    It is pretty well explained.
    I'll try it even if I'm not a double thumb player.

SB

8. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
  9. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Well, I finally understand what double thumbing is!!!!
    I'm definitely going to be studying that video!
    The double thumbing+double plucking is INSANE.

10. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    that's from his video/dvd with Carter Beuford from DMB.

he plays lopsy lu & money money money on that vid/dvd too (at the end with these lessons he does)

11. jamescalvin

jamescalvin

Jan 10, 2006
    Orange County
  12. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    its in real format

13. jenich CZ

jenich CZ

Feb 4, 2006
    Practise makes perfection...I can do this technique also on normal guitar...when you get used to it, then its no problem with any spacing...

14. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
  15. jenich CZ

jenich CZ

Feb 4, 2006
    Also I have to say, that double thumb technique is not necessary for playing Vic´s pieces...

for examle U cant hold no groove could be played without using doublethumb. My version is quite changed but i think its ok...the end of the song has been unfortunately cut...sorry.

http://nfbass.wz.cz/U cant hold no groove (chinese remix).wmv

16. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

Except for Classical Thump, Norwegian Wood, Sinister Minister, A Show of Hands...

17. Erlend

Erlend

Apr 25, 2006
    The string spacing really shouldnt be a problem. i learned the technique on a 6-string. actually , ive never tried out any of the wooten stuff on a 4-string. practice makes perfect.

18. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    the only thing about this technique that i dont' get, is the original strick of the thumb...is it like your plucking very strongly through the string...or are you just doing a perpendicular to the fret board slap that some how ends up with your thumb on the A string?

19. I slap down towards the floor for double-thumping,
    and towards the bass for regular slapping.

does that answe your question?

20. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i've been double thumbing for a year now. i never thought i'd learn it, now i'm actually pretty decent at it. when i use plucking with it it's usually just a single octave pop. but i've incorporated my right hand index finger into my double thumbing technique without using it to pop. double thumbing the d string and playing g string with index finger. or all on g string. its hard using 3 fingers on 1 string like vic does, unless it's the g string. don't expect to be doing the stuff he does anytime soon. he's been doing that since he was about 8